SNOW! SNOW! SNOW!

Help Support CattleToday:

purecountry

Reaction score
8-12 inches of heavy, wet snow this morning. And it ALL came overnight!! Highways are a mess, vehicles sliding all over and big trucks in the ditch. But, most importantly, you can spot the deer in the coulees and canyons from a mile away now. :p Hunting season is looking up!

purecountry":3kx9wz18 said:
8-12 inches of heavy, wet snow this morning. And it ALL came overnight!! Highways are a mess, vehicles sliding all over and big trucks in the ditch. But, most importantly, you can spot the deer in the coulees and canyons from a mile away now. :p Hunting season is looking up!

When do you (typically) start feeding hay in your area?

During a typical season we start feeding hay at Thanksgiving.

Our fall pasture has done real well this year (Thank The Lord), rain about every 5-6 days with daytime temp avgs at about 65 degrees.

Last night, you could tell something was moving in. The air was so thick and humid, and the temp. rose from -12C to almost melting by midnight. The fog was so thick you had to squint to see the end of your nose, and boy did it snow. This morning it's about -5C and dropping colder by the hour, so the snow won't be going anywhere for a while.

We typically graze our cows on native range till about this time of year, then swath or bale graze the rest of the winter. But this year, we had a fantastic growing season, and the cows are still grazing. With this snow, we don't have to worry about pumping water from the dugout now, so they'll get along fine until the New Year, provided we don't drop to -30/40. There's lots of grass where they're at now, so cost of feeding is pretty cheap.

We are ready and need another good rain to help hold us awhile longer. High today is supposed to be about 88 and the low tonight 62. Pretty much the same for the rest of the week.Z

purecountry":t3zm4d8i said:
Last night, you could tell something was moving in. The air was so thick and humid, and the temp. rose from -12C to almost melting by midnight. The fog was so thick you had to squint to see the end of your nose, and boy did it snow. This morning it's about -5C and dropping colder by the hour, so the snow won't be going anywhere for a while.

We typically graze our cows on native range till about this time of year, then swath or bale graze the rest of the winter. But this year, we had a fantastic growing season, and the cows are still grazing. With this snow, we don't have to worry about pumping water from the dugout now, so they'll get along fine until the New Year, provided we don't drop to -30/40. There's lots of grass where they're at now, so cost of feeding is pretty cheap.

Interesting. -30/40, now that's cold!

purecountry":1nk11q4k said:

Spoken like a true hunter!!
Got lucky last night and shot a 184lb dressed weight, 10 point!! Don't think he will taste the best but sure glad to have him!!

send some of that cold air down here. We have opening day this weekend and the temps are going to be a little to high for my taste. The rut is in full effect and I don't want it slowing down because of the heat. We are feeding hay because of the drought so who cares about the snow!!!!

It's 83 degrees with a nice sw breeze blowing and I need to be outside getting some work done instead of cooped up in this stinking house for another five weeks.Z

I know that feeling. There's never enough hours in a day.

Deer are just starting to rut here. Saw a good Mule buck at daybreak this morning, nose to the ground, walked by my truck within 30yds. I was filling the water tank for the cows, with the truck running, lights on, leaning over the toolbox with the bino's trying to count points, since it was so dark. Coulda hit him with a snowball, the dummy. :lol:

Vicky the vet":ojibf2k3 said:
DOC HARRIS":ojibf2k3 said:
Interesting. -30/40, now that's cold!
I think he means Centigrade, not Fahrenheit!

DOC HARRIS
-40 Fahrenheit is -40 Celcius, so he is indeed speaking of both
:shock: :oops: :help: +By Golly - Vicky - you are right! I always did have trouble trying to remember whether the formula was 9/5C + 32, or 5/9F - 32. Still do! I guess it's easier to look it up than to try to remember it!

40 BELOW - OR 40 below! It is still TOO darned cold to be out in it!

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts