Snake Protection

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Lots of people are getting in the chicken business around here. You'll hear people asking, "Have your birds come in?" So feeling left out, I got hold of some 20 fighting cocks and put them out at my place as a joke. I told my barber that my birds came in today. Before long people were inquiring how many houses I had. :lol: Aren't small towns great We all had a laugh.

What started out as a joke probably save me several thousand in doctor bills. Ya see I was walking under the barn to get on a tractor when I noticed all the roosters circling something next to the walkway. Turns out it was two Timber Rattlers about 5 feet long that I assume were mating under a piece of equipment.

Thanks to my cocky friends I didn't get bit :lol:

The roosters with the assistance of my snake charmer. Got an el cheapo .410 pistola. Full 3" barell. Fantastic for snakes. At three feet I think the spread is the same. Wounded one rooster though. :oops:

Hung the snakes on the fence. It rained a few days later.

ctlbaron":2o7csoew said:
You could use a couple of stove pipes for snake protection. ;-)

:) I think I would rather have chickens around then stove pipes on my legs. :lol:

Jogeephus":mb5nlj08 said:
The roosters with the assistance of my snake charmer. Got an el cheapo .410 pistola. Full 3" barell. Fantastic for snakes. At three feet I think the spread is the same. Wounded one rooster though. :oops:

Hung the snakes on the fence. It rained a few days later.
Congratulatioons to you and your chickens. You did a good thing.
All snakes should be killed. They are evil creatures.

Yeah rats and mice are so much better to have around :roll:

I only kill rattlers that are near the house or barn. Bring in Bull snakes when I find them in the hopes they will stick around and take over what the rattlers were doing. Cows are on their own on the range, - think I have only had one die from a bite in my entire life and I am not even positive that is what killed her.

There is some interesting evidence that humans constanly killing the buzzing rattlers are selecting for silent ones. That happened to me last night. Got one pinned with a shovel and had to manuever for a few minutes before I could get a hold of him to do a head-ectomy (he was in some firewood) he never did buzz. 10 segments and some missing. Not that big of a snake though.

Hippie Rancher":2ye6gkdo said:

Yeah rats and mice are so much better to have around :roll:

Hippie Rancher, Ryder has a major thing about snakes - one could almost call it a phobia - please be gentle as he is a good guy otherwise. :)

Hippie Rancher wrote:
Quote:

Yeah rats and mice are so much better to have around Rolling Eyes

Hippie Rancher, Ryder has a major thing about snakes - one could almost call it a phobia - please be gentle as he is a good guy otherwise. Smile

Ah, I see - thought it was a regular opinion - this forum needs a "scared" or "shivering" smiley.

Sorry to be sarcastic, Ryan. I have a really odd phobia that makes no sense at all. I can't stand caterpillers. I don't even like to touch pictures of them. So of course my sister is always sending e-mails with pics. Snakes, spiders, bats - none of those bother me at all. but those disgusting over-fat...ugh those psuedopods at their back end...ugh I got a shiver down my spine just writng it....

At least fear of (at least poisonous ones) snakes makes sense!

I found two very long snake skins in a pen the other day. I am loaded and ready for when I find the snakes they belonged to. I have disappearing eggs again.

I don't mind snakes. I just don't want to every reach into another nesting box and almost grab one. Like I have done three times now... You'd think I'd learn.

BTW, when you kill a snake with a 12 guage, it makes a big hole in the side of the nesting box.

What was I supposed to do, ask the snake to get out so I could kill him??? :shock:

i pack a blackhawk with one round .38 snake shot and the next round .357 got both ends of the spectum covered.

what is the kick like using a .410 in a short barreled pistol?

Latest posts