Smith to Skins

Help Support CattleToday:

MRRherefords

Reaction score
So Alex Smith to the Redskins* (Hopefully I did not offend anybody by saying that). They signed him to a four year deal so it is not just a one and done deal. Any thoughts on where Kirk Cousins might end up? I think maybe Denver or Arizona.

Denver would be my guess too.unless he doesn't really want a future with a good team. In that case, Cousins will go to Houston.

Is Smith really an upgrade? I thought Cousins was a pretty good quarterback just needed better around him. I would say he is happy to get out of DC, finally get paid and appreciated his next stop. Next to the Browns the Redskins have ruined more good young QB than any other franchise IMO.

I'll disagree as I prefer Smith over Cousins.

Kansas City did not make out big.
Chiefs received a 3rd round pick this year and a nice young cb Kendall Fuller (whom they missed out on in 2016)
when they blew it by choosing cb KeiVarae Russell in the 3rd round over cb Kendall Fuller.
They did save $17 million in payroll by getting rid of Smith.

Andy Reid is overrated. 1-4 in 5 post season games with Smith is more Reid's fault than Smith's.
We'll see how it works out, but I thought K.C. gave up too much (two 1st round picks and a 3rd) to move up to
draft QB Pat Mahomes who I expect will be no better than Smith.

In my opinion using those 3 draft picks to build a better team to help Smith would have been smarter than using them
to replace Smith.
:2cents:

Son of Butch":3i4l32en said:

Chiefs received a 3rd round pick this year and a nice young cb Kendall Fuller (whom they missed out on in 2016)
when they blew it by choosing cb KeiVarae Russell in the 3rd round over cb Kendall Fuller.

Andy Reid is overrated. 1-4 in 5 post season games with Smith is more Reid's fault than Smith's.
We'll see how it works out, but I thought K.C. gave up too much (two 1st round picks and a 3rd) to move up to

In my opinion using those 3 draft picks to build a better team to help Smith would have been smarter than using them
to replace Smith.

Andy Reid needs to move along. I don't think he has more than one season left in him if he doesn't produce, even if the team is weak. The problem with Smith that I hear all the time is that he's inconsistent. Started 5-0 and then went what 1-6? You can't stay in the NFL with numbers like that.

It will be interesting to see where Cousins lands. I don't think Cleveland will shell out the money he'll want, and even if they do I don't think they have the targets to make it worth it. I'm trying to think of places that need a good quarterback and I'm drawing some blanks. Arizona, Tampa Bay needs some help there. Cincinnati can use the help. The Giants, but I'm sure they won't pay that kind of money. The Bears wouldn't lose out too badly if they picked him up, but they are in a state of perpetual self destruction. Maybe the Steelers? I know Ben Rothlesburger has said he's not retiring, but he also said he was done earlier in the year.

Let the off season fun begin!

MRRherefords":xbnizq18 said:
Cleveland is too stupid to bring in anybody good. Always feel bad for whoever they draft. Graveyard for good college players.

I don't know Houston is pretty bad place to land.
They can't figure out you need an offense line and haven't since they came in the League.
Watson is not going to last in the NFL already headed the RG3 route.
That style of QB is fun to watch they just don't last long in the NFL.

Caustic Burno":3i268t1t said:
Watson is not going to last in the NFL already headed the RG3 route.
That style of QB is fun to watch they just don't last long in the NFL.
Too true.
I forgot which hall of famer said, "Your first day in the NFL is the last day you will feel 100% healthy."

2017 season
Alex Smith KC 505 attempts 67.5% 4042 yds 8.0 ave 26 td 5 int passer rating 104.7
Kirk Cousins w 540 attempts 64.3% 4093 yds 7.6 ave 27 td 13 int passer rating 93.9

Fearless Prediction:
Patrick Mahomes will not be better than Alex Smith and will have less than 4,000 yds passing, but as a young qb
I expect he will have over 500 yards rushing with 4 TDs rushing vs Smith's 355 yds rushing and 1TD
KC/Andy Reid will barely make the playoffs and then go 1 and done... history's proven it's what Reid does.

2016 season
Alex Smith KC 489 attempts 67.1% 3502 yds 7.2 ave 15 td 8 int passer rating 91.2
Kirk Cousins w 606 attempts 67% 4917 yds 8.1 ave 25 td 12 int passer rating 97.2

jltrent":1aev1c5i said:
2016 season
Alex Smith KC 489 attempts 67.1% 3502 yds 7.2 ave 15 td 8 int passer rating 91.2
Kirk Cousins w 606 attempts 67% 4917 yds 8.1 ave 25 td 12 int passer rating 97.2
Does that mean by comparing their last 2 seasons (2016 & 2017)
Smith is progressing and Cousins is regressing?

With change to new teams it would not be surprising for both to regress for one season as they learn new systems.

MRRherefords":1ke7p3a2 said:
Reid is renowned for squeezing into the playoffs just to lose. But all you hear about is his playoff appearances. But his record is just awful.
Well, he has consistency down anyway..

Kirk Cousins announced the number 1 team on his wish list is the Vikings.
I would not want to be the GM/Owner given the honor of making Cousins the new highest paid player in the NFL.

Son of Butch":6jxcns2h said:
Kirk Cousins announced the number 1 team on his wish list is the Vikings.
I would not want to be the GM/Owner given the honor of making Cousins the new highest paid player in the NFL.

I doubt that's the kind of news Keenum wants to hear either..

2017 regular season passer ratings of the 22 QBs with over 3,000 yds this season

1. Alex Smith kc 104.7
2. Drew Brees no 103.9
3. Tom Brady ne 102.8
4. Carson Wentz phi 101.9
5. Jared Goff la 100.5

6. Matthew Stafford det 99.3
7. Case Keenum mn 98.3
8. Phillip Rivers lac 96.0
9. Russell Wilson sea 95.4
10 Kirk Cousins wash 93.9
11 Ben Rothlisberger pitt 93.4
12 Jamies Winston tb 92.2
13 Matt Ryan atlanta 91.4

14 Dak Prescott dal 86.6
15 Andy Dalton cinci 86.6
16 Derek Carr oak 86.4
17 Blake Bortels jax 84.7
18 Jacoby Brissett ind 81.7
19 Cam Newton nc 80.7
20 Joe Flacco balt 80.4
21 Eli Manning nyg 80.4
22 Marcus Mariota ten 79.3

passer ratings of qbs under 3,000 yds in 2017 regular season games
Sam Bradford mn 124.4
DeShaun Watson hou 103.0
Aaron Rodgers gb 97.2
Jimmy Garappolo sf 96.2
Josh McCown jets 94.5
Tyrod Taylor buf 89.2
Ryan Fitzpatrick tb 86.0
Carson Palmer arz 84.4
Jay Cutler miami 80.8
Nick Foles philly 79.5
Mitch Trubisky chi 77.5
Trevor Siemian den 73.3
Blaine Gabbert arz 71.9
Tom Savage hou 71.4
Brett Hundly gb 70.6
C.J. Beathard sf 69.2
DeShone Kizer clev 60.5

Philly would be wise to strike while the iron and trade Super Bowl MVP Nick Foles.

Nick Foles age 29 (4 yrs 8 m younger than Alex Smith)
6-6 243 lbs drafted round 3 2012 one year left on contract with 2018 salary of 7.6 million
career passer rating 89.5
Strong upside, proven under pressure with at least 5 more years in him

Carson Wentz (25) is their future and having Foles as a back up might be a distraction in 2018 and too expensive in 2019

I'm sure there are several qb needy teams that would give up a 1st round 2018 pick and 2nd round pick in 2019 for him

Arizona? Buffalo? Denver? Jets?

Son of Butch":3pu5bh61 said:

to replace Smith.

KC made out great in this trade. They cleared the cap space and picked up a CB that was one of the top rated slot corners in the league last year. Like all young QB's Mahomes is a gamble and will make mistakes but vs Denver he showed he can make passes that Smith could only dream of.
KC basically gave up this years 1st round pick for Mahomes. They flipped first rounders last year and then got a 3rd in the Smith trade.

I do agree that Reid is overrated and always fails in the playoffs.