Smart TV

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence

Keyboard cowboy
Reaction score
I am presently receiving extreme pressure to buy one of these. After a little research I'm intrigued myself.
They've gotten the price down in the fence builder bracket.
And I might be able to give direct TV the boot.
Does anyone have one. What do you have to say about it.

We cut our Dtv package waaay back after getting one. If youre going to use it as a smart tv, make sure you have good wifi available.

We told the dish folks to stuff it years ago. I went to Wally World in search of a smart TV and had one picked out. Sales gal moved me on to a bigger one that was on sale. When I got home, and plugged it in, it wasn't smart. I ordered an Amazon firestick, and never looked back. It does everything that a smart tv does, and only costs thirty bucks. Your pallet is in Nashville, and is scheduled for a Monday delivery. The boss is sending the tracking info to the boss.

With wifi and Netflixs (at $11 p/mo) it's pretty reasonable entertainment.

Scary part is if it malfunctions you call call mfg, they put some computer repair geek on the phone, get some info and can tell you what is not working and what the part will cost to get it going and when it will be there.

To not have to replace my existing TV's we bought an Amazon Fire TV device and love it. We have Amazon Prime, Netflix, Sling TV, and HULU I believe. All are still way cheaper than Dish or Direct.

You have to have fast internet for it to matter. We have a firestick also so until our non smart TV goes, we just use it. But you gotta have fast unlimited internet......

J&D Cattle":1bigf1dp said:
To not have to replace my existing TV's we bought an Amazon Fire TV device and love it. We have Amazon Prime, Netflix, Sling TV, and HULU I believe. All are still way cheaper than Dish or Direct.

You can also modify the stick and do a few things which may not exactly be legal but it sure is nice knowing you, in your own way, are boycotting Hollywood.

I just bought a Samsung smart one. It has a navigation at the bottom where you can search which function of the TV you want to use. It even has a voice feature where you press a button and tell it what you want to do. The sound quality sucks tho. My last TV had audio plugs and I ran the sound thru a receiver to enhance it. New ones have all HDMI plugs and the audio wouldn't connect to the receiver, so I bought a Bluetooth Samsung sound bar and connected it. A waste of $300 as the sound was just barely improved.

Lots of new ones have 4K capable, which is the newest step in picture quality. It also requires 4K HDMI cables, but you won't find many programs updated just yet.

At one time we decided to cut the cable and stopped Direct TV and went with an outside antenna for local channels. The wife wasn't happy because she lost two channels she watched, so she subscribed to DISH after four months. We also subscribe to Netflix and watch a lot of their produced series.

Jogeephus":1mi9xbm0 said:
J&D Cattle":1mi9xbm0 said:

You can also modify the stick and do a few things which may not exactly be legal but it sure is nice knowing you, in your own way, are boycotting Hollywood.

I just don't know if I could sleep with something called a" illegally modified Amazon fire stick " in the house.
:D

There's a device which works in conjunction with your laptop that will allow you to watch anything you can pull up on your laptop on your tv. It's perfectly legal. No reason it wouldn't be. My son gave me one two or three years ago and showed me how it worked and I haven't used it since.

The normal Amazon Fire Stick is completely legal but you can crack them, that is the illegal part.

I did not have TV for the longest time but I finally broke down and bought one so my son and I could play video games and watch movies. I bought the Samsung which was one of the cheaper ones, should have gone LG. It works great though.

There is no reason to own direct tv or dish unless you just like clicking channels or have bad enet. I told DT to shove it a long time ago. I have the best Netflix package, Hulu package, HBO, for like less than $50 a month. For $150 I bought an antenna from Best Buy to pick up all the local channel with in 100 miles or so.

If you know someone who has all those packages, you can piggy back off theirs with a smart TV or fire stick...Our son has all that and is allowed 4 TVs... He only has 2, so we ride on his contract. Figure it pays for all the lunches he gets here daily.....lol

With a firestick you have a separate remote for it and have to used the tv remote and switch the inputs every time your swapping back and forth between the firestick and antenna.
Also have the tv remote for the volume,

May not be a big deal for you but it's a pain for me

Laptop is worse cause you don't have a remote

I have one, and I like it. We bought a Samsung b/c I like their picture quality better than the rest. Just know that it takes a bit to "warm up" so you can't jump into Netflix right away. But it's nice, I like it.

ga.prime":37gfhss9 said:
There's a device which works in conjunction with your laptop that will allow you to watch anything you can pull up on your laptop on your tv. It's perfectly legal. No reason it wouldn't be. My son gave me one two or three years ago and showed me how it worked and I haven't used it since.

The really simple version of that is an HDMI cable.

Farm Fence Solutions":23vtj702 said:
ga.prime":23vtj702 said:

Probably talking about one of those illegal sites you can go too,but it's recommended you have a vpn and again it's illegal

Cross-7":vkjzodlp said:
Farm Fence Solutions":vkjzodlp said:
ga.prime":vkjzodlp said:

Probably talking about one of those illegal sites you can go too,but it's recommended you have a vpn and again it's illegal
No, I'm talking about what Farm Fence said or something like it that is wireless. Why would it be illegal to look at something on your tv that you can see on your laptop?

It's a service you subscribe to that illegally broadcast everything.
I assume they intercept the satellite signal and broadcast for a fee.

Cross-7":1u32j68h said:
It's a service you subscribe to that illegally broadcast everything.
I assume they intercept the satellite signal and broadcast for a fee.
I don't know anything about that. I'm only talking about things you can normally watch on your laptop whether free or through a subscription.

Latest posts