Small USDA Facility

Help Support CattleToday:

Is anyone here operating a small USDA facility?

I'd like to hear about it.
Not operating one but I have been part of the construction of one and continue to sell ~500 tons of hay to one. They have grown in leaps and bounds in the past few years. From requiring 50 small square bales every couple of weeks to 20 rolls a week.
As I've mentioned in the past. This is a halal facility. Just beef , sheep and goats. No pig's.

If any of them get big enough for the big 4 to notice, you can bet there will be a buyout offer coming, just to shut them down.
They call it consolidation!

There are several new small facilities (some USDA/State mixed inspected, some State inspected and a couple of custom exempt from inspection) that recently or in the next few months will come on line in Wyoming. The biggest problem the owners are having is hiring help. The local custom exempt facility is owned by Mennonites and they seem to have built in help and do a good job. On the State inspected product, if the customer is from out of Wyoming, they can travel across the border and pick it up in Wyoming. The custom exempt facility, we convey ownership to the buyers via the brand inspection on the way to the packer, so they own it while it is still on the hoof. I think we only need USDA inspected for beef we process in Colorado and bring back to customers in Wyoming.

Latest posts