Small Scale Nurse Cow / Calf Strategy

Help Support CattleToday:

cchardwick

Reaction score
I just picked up my first Jersey calf, bottle fed it and it's now about six months old. I plan on breeding not this fall but the following fall with an early or late spring calf. I plan on setting up a nurse cow / calf operation and need some advice (as much as I can get!). So I'm thinking I can breed in the fall, have one Jersey calf as well as buy two beef calves and raise three calves at once on the Jersey. I'm dry lot feeding (no pasture at my house) so I'm thinking of raising up the calves to about 3-4 months of age and then bringing them down to my father in laws house for another 3-4 months on his irrigated pasture. He probably has about 4-5 acres with separate pastures. Then I can bring them to the sale barn or sell them on Craig's List. I'm thinking I could have 3 calves on my nurse cow twice per year and then dry her off for the next lactation. How does this sound? Any suggestions? What's the best place to buy and sell calves, at a sale barn? I'm so new at this!

I get my calves from the sale barn. The sale barn is not a place for someone without experience. Go watch a few sales before you buy.

You are going to want calves that are about a week old. Generally it is a cow calf pair with an older cow that no one bids on at the going rate for pairs. The ring man will then split them.

Look at the navel and tail length of week old calves. Dried navel cord is a good sign. Calf probably had colostrum.

You probably need to have a supply of prescript meds in case of pneumonia (shipping fever).

Crate the cow or secure her somehow in a pen. Crowd the graft calf towards her while that calf is hungry. Depending on your cow, you may have issues or you may not have any problem. Generally after the calf has nursed a cow a few days (3 to be safe) it has her scent and she will accept it.

Nurse cows are the best money making strategy in my opinion. You have to buy the right calves and keep your cost down. That nurse cow is going to need feed while she is nursing those calves. Divide that feed cost by each of the calves you have on her. Keep your cost at $1 per day per calf.

When those calves need hay or forage, sell them. Don't buy feed and expect to make money.

Latest posts