small herd purchase

Help Support CattleToday:

M5farm

Reaction score
a couple months ago I told of my neighbor that got injured by his bull. He is trying to recover but he has a long way to go and they don't expect him to ever fully recover. Last weekend I found out they had scheduled our livestock market to come and get the cows and run them thru the ring. I expressed to them that I would have like to have a shot at the cows without having to bid on them at a sale. Sunday morning One of the nephews stopped by and said they would wait a week and I could give them a price.
I went and looked and walked thru the cows and had a fair number in my head and I asked a CT member his opinion and he was in the ballpark of what I thought. I value all of your opinions and that's why I am starting this thread now. There are 11 cows 10 are mostly angus or so I've been told, their records show the ages are 6 to 9 yrs old. his bull was a Registered BA from Southern Cattle Company he is hamburger now. All of the cows were bred to him.
6 have calves by their side and 5 are yet to calve 2 of the calves are 400+lbs the other 4 are less than 2 months. So most likely none of them are bred back. I called her Monday and made an offer on the cows. She expressed that the old man really wanted the cows to sell as a group. She is relying on her advice from a buyer/auctioneer so he has been pushing to run them thru the sale barn. I called again yesterday to see if they considered my offer and she said they have not worked on it. I am confused that just last week they wanted them gone and now I tell them I have the money and want to buy them I am getting nowhere. What say you?

they are all almast identical to these few in the pictures

every market is a little different, just crunching numbers I would say a fair offer would be around $17,000.

those cows are right up the middle on age,meaning that they may have 4 or 5 calves left in them.i would offer them $15,500 an thats it.they need to remember the sale barn will make about $150 on the cows plus whatever they charge to pen an haul the cattle to the sale.

I agree with Bigbull right around 15,000. However I would go ahead and let em run them thru the ring and pick the ones you really like and let the others go.

When it's all said and done they will regret not letting you buy them off the farm!

I bought 11 cows all Angus cross, 6 brangus, 2 semiangus, 3 black baldies. They were advertised as bred hefiers but 4 had already had calves by the time I bought them. They look a lot like the cows in your pictures. I bought them all for $17, 000 last December. I am pleased with the purchase.
I think your offer sounds reasonable for both parties. Someone else is trying to mess the deal up for you both but only you know that. I don't believe she will do any better at the yard.

Going by local markets 14500-15000 would be in line. Or slip in another 200 for a option at renting the pasture.

Buddy of mine bought some cows here last weekend that were pretty much the same deal you got above. Gave X dollars for them and turned around and sold them the next day before he had picked them up for $1750 a head across the board. So 17,500 could be a real figure. More than I would want to give, but that number is very possible if they get the right bidders against each other at the sale. I would be at the 15-15500 number.

I agree with Vic. Pass on em and go to the sale and buy what you want of em.

70 -- 80 percent of the time it is easier for me to deal with not so close neighbors or strangers. Seems like the closer they are more likely to not accept offer. (Afraid you might make 5 dollars) go to sale and buy the ones you want.

Thanks for the replies. I gave them an offer monday of 15000.00 all they have to do is endorse the check. The cows are about a mile from my place. I will pen,load and haul without them having to do anything. heck there is a parcel between us that another neighbor rents that I could just open a few gates and walk them to my place. Pairs were down in our market this week with poor quality and there is a special sale of approx 500 hd today that I hear are good cows. I had no plans to buy anymore cows this year but this deal is a good one if it works out.

Sounds like a nice offer. They would be smart to take the offer instead of paying the sale barn commission and not making that much off a few cows.

we shall see! I just got a call That they will be at the farm this weekend and would like to set down with me tonight.

Sounds promising, but if it's gonna be a pain for you to buy them and have them keep up with your every move with them, then it might not be worth it. JMO. Might be better to buy the fewer better ones from the sale barn. I would have a hard time with someone always wanting to tell me what I can and can't do with my animals.

Still no answer. They said they needed 16k for them. I stuck with my original offer. The old man's son is s dentist that grew up on a farm but has not been around cow for 30 years. The old man still insists on them being sold as a herd. The dentist wife and I grew ul together so she is set on me getting them. If I had of agreed to rent the land I think it would have been a done deal but I don't need it right now.

Like I said before, that's just more than I think there worth. Sounds like either there broke or there may be some greed issues in the family. I guess they should take them to the sale, get the same as what you offered and have to pay commission get them loaded and to the sale.

M5farm":2peyxt9n said:
Got a call this afternoon. The Mr.sikes told them to tell me to come get them. 15k.
You should have told them you needed some time to think about it now :lol2: , no not really. Glad it worked out for both of you, how about some more pictures?

Latest posts