Small Farmer loses his Lease

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't feel sorry for him. And to wimper about on you tube is even worse. I gain and lose leases every year. Any improvements I do I protect myself in writing. I lost 400 acres+- this spring.
Had to sell 33head of pretty good cows. But I got paid on the quarter mile of fence I built 8 years ago...IN FUll.
We've been able to replace the lost acreage and some..... don't ever count on something that is not yours. The land owner owes you nothing outside the deals you make. It you think someone is going to let your handful of cattle dictate the decisions they make with their property. Your in for a rude awaking.

Pretty sad story as I watch most, but not all....as it sounds like a losing battle. Depends on his debt load probably the end of his farming. He is young, so probably best for him to get a job outside farming.

callmefence":29iy93kh said:
I don't feel sorry for him. And to wimper about on you tube is even worse. I gain and lose leases every year. Any improvements I do I protect myself in writing. I lost 400 acres+- this spring.
Had to sell 33head of pretty good cows. But I got paid on the quarter mile of fence I built 8 years ago...IN FUll.
We've been able to replace the lost acreage and some..... don't ever count on something that is not yours. The land owner owes you nothing outside the deals you make. It you think someone is going to let your handful of cattle dictate the decisions they make with their property. Your in for a rude awaking.

I agree. I know a situation where a sibling was using his brother's property for farming. The brother entered into another market to better utilize his land. It caused hard feelings. It is goofy to expect anyone including a sibling to sacrifice an opportunity.

I have picked up leases and lost leases. A lease is a lease. They are only as good as the paper they are written on or the person whose hand you shook. To me the only one that really upsets me is when another cattleman comes in a steals one out from under you. And then it is not the landowner I am up set with it is that other cattleman.

Dave":2vu088xg said:
I have picked up leases and lost leases. A lease is a lease. They are only as good as the paper they are written on or the person whose hand you shook. To me the only one that really upsets me is when another cattleman comes in a steals one out from under you. And then it is not the landowner I am up set with it is that other cattleman.
There's plenty of those type out there too.....

Dave":bbjbcqes said:

What do you mean by steal?

callmefence":1uo7bxea said:
Dave":1uo7bxea said:

It is where you are leasing a piece of ground and they go to the landowner with a bigger offer and do it in such a manner so you don't even have the chance to meet or match their offer. Or other unethical business practice. There are two the come to mind. The first one I knew a gal who leased a place for years. She paid $50 an acre. These guys came in a offered $80 an acre. After she was gone the guy told the landowner that he couldn't pay the $80 and ended up negotiating it down to $50. The other a guy went into his insurance agent to inquire on how much it would raise his insurance if he leased this particular piece of ground he was looking at. He had been offered the land at a certain price. Just two days later, before he could get a signed lease, the insurance agents husband leased the property for his cattle. There is a certain amount of honor and ethics in most of the cattlemen I know. There are a few others who would stab you in the back if they thought they can make a profit doing it.

Dave":2kbkbjw8 said:
callmefence":2kbkbjw8 said:
Dave":2kbkbjw8 said:

It is where you are leasing a piece of ground and they go to the landowner with a bigger offer and do it in such a manner so you don't even have the chance to meet or match their offer. Or other unethical business practice. There are two the come to mind. The first one I knew a gal who leased a place for years. She paid $50 an acre. These guys came in a offered $80 an acre. After she was gone the guy told the landowner that he couldn't pay the $80 and ended up negotiating it down to $50. The other a guy went into his insurance agent to inquire on how much it would raise his insurance if he leased this particular piece of ground he was looking at. He had been offered the land at a certain price. Just two days later, before he could get a signed lease, the insurance agents husband leased the property for his cattle. There is a certain amount of honor and ethics in most of the cattlemen I know. There are a few others who would stab you in the back if they thought they can make a profit doing it.

Someone beats you in business by paying more. That's fair and square.
If you wanna call them a thief your the one in the wrong. Plain and simple.

Here's what I have usually happens. A elderly widow leases her land for what her long dead husband leased it for. A fraction of the value. Finally a fence builder comes along ( because the leasee has demanded new fenceing).
The fence builder offers the woman what the land is worth. He gets the fences right and also gets the hunting rights leased out (the previous renter payed nothing but hunted anyway) and puts another 10grand in the woman's hands on top of the grazing..............and gets called a thief...... funny thing though never to his face. :lol2:

Used to be, a person's word and a handshake was rock solid....now, that word is up for sale to the highest bidder it seems.
If a man gives his word on a lease (both ends of it..lessor and lessee) or anything else, he should keep it.

What will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, yet loses or forfeits his very self?

I am of the opinion tho, that when one door closes, another opens.

callmefence":3ecdfjti said:

If you watched the video you would find that a "caretaker" wanted him to pay for and build 5 miles of fence without any payback or guarantee of a long-term lease in the future. This is so the caretaker could lease the woods to deer hunters without permission of the owner who said no third-part hunting. You obviously did not watch the video.

greybeard":3r6mk5v7 said:
Used to be, a person's word and a handshake was rock solid....now, that word is up for sale to the highest bidder it seems.
If a man gives his word on a lease (both ends of it..lessor and lessee) or anything else, he should keep it.

I agree 100 percent. A handshake and a contract carry the same wieght.

Bright Raven":1as9jw4i said:
callmefence":1as9jw4i said:

I agree. I know a situation where a sibling was using his brother's property for farming. The brother entered into another market to better utilize his land. It caused hard feelings. It is goofy to expect anyone including a sibling to sacrifice an opportunity.

I would not have a problem if it was the owner going in a different direction, it is the"cartaker" who is trying to make this kid build a pay for and build a fence so that the caretaker can defraud the owner.

sstterry":2o8zk740 said:
callmefence":2o8zk740 said:

If you watched the video you would find that a "caretaker" wanted him to pay for and build 5 miles of fence without any payback or guarantee of a long-term lease in the future. This is so the caretaker could lease the woods to deer hunters without permission of the owner who said no third-part hunting. You obviously did not watch the video.

Don't tell me what I didn't do.
Why would he want to lease from a landlord like that. He should walk away and find another lease. He chooses to cry on YouTube.......or maybe someone will feel sorry for him and lease him a pasture....... :idea: :dunce:

callmefence":vfzjsuki said:
Dave":vfzjsuki said:
callmefence":vfzjsuki said:

Here's what I have usually happens. A elderly widow leases her land for what her long dead husband leased it for. A fraction of the value. Finally a fence builder comes along ( because the leasee has demanded new fenceing).
The fence builder offers the woman what the land is worth. He gets the fences right and also gets the hunting rights leased out (the previous renter payed nothing but hunted anyway) and puts another 10grand in the woman's hands on top of the grazing..............and gets called a thief...... funny thing though never to his face. :lol2:

Widows, fence builders, and hunting leases may be common in your part of the world but the second two are uncommon around here. As for widows the community as a whole does a pretty good job of looking out for them. What I called stealing was when someone makes a landowner an offer knowing full well that you are leasing the ground and does it in a manner which doesn't allow you to meet or beat their offer. True business is business but ranchers in this part of the world depend on each other for assistance. Get a reputation for going behind the back of others and it will become a mighty lonely world or a long drive to do business.

TennesseeTuxedo":8m5jqhav said:
greybeard":8m5jqhav said:
Or start a gofundme page for him............

I'm in, how much does he need?
Don't you have a place in Granger County you could loan him? :D

By the way, the place next to me I told you about, brought $1.95 million. Not a bad deal when you consider the value of the house and that there are about 8-10 barns on it.

Dave":1sifrxb1 said:
callmefence":1sifrxb1 said:
Dave":1sifrxb1 said:

Widows, fence builders, and hunting leases may be common in your part of the world but the second two are uncommon around here. As for widows the community as a whole does a pretty good job of looking out for them. What I called stealing was when someone makes a landowner an offer knowing full well that you are leasing the ground and does it in a manner which doesn't allow you to meet or beat their offer. True business is business but ranchers in this part of the world depend on each other for assistance. Get a reputation for going behind the back of others and it will become a mighty lonely world or a long drive to do business.

So how do you go bout getting a lease in "part of the world"
Kiss azz in the coffee shop until the local lords of God's country bestow you with their crumbs. Lol

Im not talking about the breaking of contracts Dave. Merely the negotiable parts when contracts come mature. It scares the hell out of those who have been getting sweetheart deals for decades. But it doesn't make those who can beat them thieves. It's just the natural changing of the guard.

callmefence":2n0kvxtv said:
Dave":2n0kvxtv said:
callmefence":2n0kvxtv said:

So how do you go bout getting a lease in "part of the world"
Kiss azz in the coffee shop until the local lords of God's country bestow you with their crumbs. Lol

Im not talking about the breaking of contracts Dave. Merely the negotiable parts when contracts come mature. It scares the be nice out of those who have been getting sweetheart deals for decades. But it doesn't make those who can beat them thieves. It's just the natural changing of the guard.

Well it wouldn't do any good to go to the coffee shop because it is at least 30 miles to the nearest one of those. Negotiated contracts are not an issue. It is big country with very few people but word travels pretty fast. Something is coming up the word gets around. What I (and a lot of other people here) refer to as stealing a lease is when someone beats you out of a piece of ground without the opportunity for negotiation. And this again could be one of those regional differences in language. Here there would be a difference between saying someone is stealing a lease and calling them a thieve.