small animals swaps

Help Support CattleToday:

WisRose

Reaction score
Small animal swaps and sales are real popular around here. They mostly have poultry, rabbits, exotic small pets, and goats. Now besides the cattle we have chickens, a couple of ducks, a lone tom turkey,and have raised a few pigs. Before getting anything new I research the animals care, feed requirements and such. I get so frustrated when people go to these sales and buy somehting that's "cute" and have no knowledge what so ever on how to care for this animal. We live in an area that is getting more and more populated with people from the city (I'm not against all those who seek the counrty life)and have had a few people drop by to show us their new purchase (usually a tiny bunny or a few chicks, or a duckling, in a box) and ask "ain't it cute, now what do we do with it?" Feeling sorry for the critter I try to explain all the care required and stress that these are not stuffed toy animals and little junior shouldn't be carrying these fragile things around the house all day. Anyway, when I run into these people at a later date and ask how there animals are doing I often get the "Oh it died, junior left it outside in the rain, or junior forgot to feed it, or we got tired of it and let the rabbit loose. Do any of you run into this kind of thing? I'm not against new people trying to raise animals, but they should reasearch them before getting them. I'm not an animal activist , just think it's cruel for these animals to face such neglect. Some people view animals as a throw away product I guess.

The Mrs. gets all her chiks and ducks for free with an ad in the paper after Easter, offering these "cute presents" that were given to a city kid a good country home. 3 years ago, she just put the address in, and said drop off. There was no limit. Chiks, ducks, geese, dogs, cats, and a pot bellied pig. Now we have to scan thee people.

See this all the time and I live in a small agricultural community. I always think these people should know better. Not so surprised by the city people doing it. Then again - maybe the people in town here think hey I live in an agricultural community so I should be able to do this. Then realize they can't after it's too late. The ones that burn me are the ones that continue to do it over and over. Know one that disposes of parakeets and hamsters and other such things on a regular bases.