Sluggish acting calf?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Curious as to what others think. Two month old bottle calf just kinda acts a little sluggish or droopy. Takes a bottle good, eats hay and feed some. Just does not seem real spunky. No signs of anything else. Just looking for opinions.

The odd thing is she really don't show any signs like a cough or snottiny nose of being sick. We have had her about 6 weeks, she got a cough then and was given Nuflor. Seemed to clear up, maybe it did not get knocked out.

You're right. It may not have completely cleared up. Or, maybe she's got something a little different. Whatever it is, working with the vet is the best way to go.

Also, make certain you give the calf probios daily while she's on the antibiotic. Since she's a bottle calf, it won't be a hassle.

Alice :)

Still has a temp of 103 tonight. Gave her the second dose of Nuflor. Too late to call our vet back tonight.

Any one have any suggestions?

Calf's normal temp is around 102.5; I wouldn't have been so quick to treat.

However, since you are treating her, I'd give her at least a 5-day course, preferably 7 days, just since you have no idea what you may or may not be dealing with, for one, and second, most pathogens need to be "treated" for at least 5 days in order to effectively irradicate them.

The problem could be something else; like needing better nutrition, or lacking in some minerals or vitamins.

Those are just random thoughts; hard to say for sure what's going on without seeing her.

milkmaid":65a5l1x4 said:
Calf's normal temp is around 102.5; I wouldn't have been so quick to treat.

However, since you are treating her, I'd give her at least a 5-day course, preferably 7 days, just since you have no idea what you may or may not be dealing with, for one, and second, most pathogens need to be "treated" for at least 5 days in order to effectively irradicate them.

The problem could be something else; like needing better nutrition, or lacking in some minerals or vitamins.

Those are just random thoughts; hard to say for sure what's going on without seeing her.

Guess I misunderstood normal temp, thought it was about 101.

She just seems to lay around a little more than others and is a little droopy eared at times. Was real full of energy tonight at feeding time. May just beng too cautious.

Way I understand it is that a mature bovine's temp is 101ish, maybe 101.5 average, and a calf's temp is 102.5... so for a mature animal she'd be a high, for a calf she's not bad.

tom4018":3kh1m364 said:
Curious as to what others think. Two month old bottle calf just kinda acts a little sluggish or droopy. Takes a bottle good, eats hay and feed some. Just does not seem real spunky. No signs of anything else. Just looking for opinions.

Bottle Calves: Always issues...

Assuming the bottle calf got its needed dose of colostrum from its dam and the calf doesn't have coccidiosis or worms, could be mineral thing or ???

Not too early to do a de-worming on calf.

Is the calf housed in a sanitary area, free of wet, manure, weeds, etc? Does it have a "pasture mate" to keep it company?

Etc., Etc.

Running Arrow Bill":246om6we said:
tom4018":246om6we said:

Bottle Calves: Always issues...

Assuming the bottle calf got its needed dose of colostrum from its dam and the calf doesn't have coccidiosis or worms, could be mineral thing or ???

Not too early to do a de-worming on calf.

Is the calf housed in a sanitary area, free of wet, manure, weeds, etc? Does it have a "pasture mate" to keep it company?

Etc., Etc.

Not sure about colostrum as this calf was purchased at the sale barn, came right off the cow in the ring but who knows if and when she got it. She was about 3 weeks old when we got her.

She is running with 3 others and was wormed last weekend.
She seems more energetic the last couple days. Probably not that sluggish but she is enough that I got concerned.

Latest posts