Slowly learning EPDs...

Help Support CattleToday:

Sniper338

Reaction score
A bull with a CED of 3 or 3.2 would be horrible for heifers compared to a .5 or 1 CED bull?

The way i read it a 1 is easy calving
2 is light pull
3 is heavy pull
4 is c section
5 is still born

At leat according to the agri life youtube video

Sniper338":10rtnhll said:
A bull with a 3 or 3.2 epd would be horrible for heifers compared to a .5 or 1 epd bull?
For heifers I pay attention to the CED epd. I like for the value to be above 9 (angus sire) for heifers

Lazy M":2ada0huv said:
Sniper338":2ada0huv said:
A bull with a 3 or 3.2 epd would be horrible for heifers compared to a .5 or 1 epd bull?
For heifers I pay attention to the CED epd. I like for the value to be above 9 (angus sire) for heifers

That doesnt jive with what i was watching and reading. Maybe im screwed up still. OP was edited, it was 2am when i wrote that..

So now i did find reading stated as higher such percentage is easier calving on heifers.

However im finding ced epd data to be listed both ways, as a number 1-6 and as a percentage..

So a CED of .5 and a CED rank of 95% would indicate a good heifer bull?

Definitely not Sniper338. Lazy M has it right, with CED the higher the number the more unassisted births you can expect. Think of it like this.... if Bull A has CED 0 and bull B has CED 10 you could expect 10% more unassisted births from bull B. I think you are running into confusion with breed EPD rankings---i.e. a CED of .5 being in the 95 percentile means that he is at the bottom of the barrel for calving ease....

limftw":1auvs0hm said:
Definitely not Sniper338. Lazy M has it right, with CED the higher the number the more unassisted births you can expect. Think of it like this.... if Bull A has CED 0 and bull B has CED 10 you could expect 10% more unassisted births from bull B. I think you are running into confusion with breed EPD rankings---i.e. a CED of .5 being in the 95 percentile means that he is at the bottom of the barrel for calving ease....

Yes i am looking at brangus breed epds

Sniper338":2qkdaoyi said:
A bull with a CED of 3 or 3.2 would be horrible for heifers compared to a .5 or 1 CED bull?

The way i read it a 1 is easy calving
2 is light pull
3 is heavy pull
4 is c section
5 is still born

At leat according to the agri life youtube video
Sounds like you watched a video on how to report calving ease to the association. They in turn calculate that info into EPD's which are read as higher CED is better for heifers.

Ranking a cow 1-5 is just a way of noting how hard the delivery was, if you keep records.

The actual epd numbers don't follow that numbering and depends on the breed what the range of numbers may be. A simmental would be an easy calving with a number in the teens.. Charolais uses different numbers, and a good one for them is upwards of 70 I believe? Angus is in the teens also I think.

Best plan of attack with epds is to search for the breed average, and then compare the animals numbers to the avg to see where it sits amongst its peers.

You are looking at the difference between CE score, 1-5 based on the animal's birth with 1 being no pull. The CED epd is percent unassisted birth difference. For a heifer I am fine using an 8 or 9 CED unless she is a bigger bw heifer herself then I want 12 or 13. For cows as long as it is positive I am fine with it

Latest posts