sliced tendon

Help Support CattleToday:

glover36

Reaction score
at the placee iwork we had a calf get in the silage auger(not running) and when its was a trying to get out its foot slipped under the boards and sliced his tednon on the auger the vet stitched it up and then the calf started kicking during it was put out and it ripped the stictches so the vet gave it osem kind of thign that the yuse to put out horses for gelding then the calf died for a minute then cmae back it is a 50/40 chance that infection will set in so this wednesdya we find out if it is infected or not

glover36":1c0sfucp said:
the calf died for a minute then cmae back it is a 50/40 chance that infection will set in

50/40? So that means that it lost the other 10%...like loosing one of it's lives? Now it is down to 8 lives.

Why don't you take a pro-active stance and treat the calf for infection now? There are plenty of antibacterial powders, balms, salves, etc that could be applied BEFORE infection sets in. This just might prevent infection. You might also check with your vet and see if there is something such as penicillin that you could give him/her to prevent infection.

That's good. You didn't mention whether the foot was wrapped (I'm thinking it probably is), or whether the calf and his mom have been pulled from the herd and put in a cleaner environment than a corral? Assuming all of this is true, I applaud your efforts to keep infection from setting in.

PS Should infection set in you might think about soaking the calf's foot in warm water that has some Epsom Salts mixed in according to the package directions along with injections to kill the infection. It works wonders at drawing infection out. I have mixed it up and soaked a cloth, then applied that cloth to the infected area til it cools and repeat. I know it is quite a bit of work, but it may be worth the effort.

msscamp":1e4vl81t said:
the calf and his mom have been pulled from the herd and put in a cleaner environment than a corral?

Calf would be cleaner i the pasture at my place. The corral and run lots get pretty dusty or muddy, depending on the time of year.

I agree 100% Cert. Corrals tend to be muddy, wet, and full of manure and bacteria. The original post didn't specify whether the herd was on pasture, in a corral or some other set-up. That is why I asked. Generally speaking one does not find an auger in a corral or in a pasture.

msscamp":9m4u4afn said:
Generally speaking one does not find an auger in a corral or in a pasture.
That is true too. But I have seen some amazing junk littering a pasture.

That is one of my biggest peeves. Trash in the pasture.

certherfbeef":2b18e62l said:
msscamp":2b18e62l said:
Generally speaking one does not find an auger in a corral or in a pasture.
That is true too. But I have seen some amazing junk littering a pasture.

That is one of my biggest peeves. Trash in the pasture.

Again, I agree 100%! The only thing that should be in a pasture is grass and cattle! ;-)

i think the vet may have given her a shto nto sure she has a cast on nad in 3 days we find otu what is going to happen to her we have taken her off grain because teh vet didnt want her growing anymore

cast came off not infected(thank god) it has another cast on for 1 mont hthen its good to go

glover36":70r4x6b3 said:
cast came off not infected(thank god) it has another cast on for 1 mont hthen its good to go

Wonderful!! Congratulations, I am so happy infection did not set in! :D I'll bet that's the best news you have had all week.

lol yup wqe have had everything go wrong lol we had to put an IV in a calf then a cow calved and just the next day the calf started to scour

Been there, done that, have the t-shirt! Welcome to the cattle business! I am so tickled the calf with the sliced tendon did not get infected! It sounds like you are acquiring knowledge by leaps and bounds the hard way and, while all of that knowledge will stand you in good stead, I sincerely hope that everything straightens out in your favor! Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on things.

lol only problem terrible problem with either rotacoronas or maybe some other ones affecting cavles at a hoirrible rate

Latest posts