Sleeping Rabbit Ranch

Help Support CattleToday:

RHScattle

Reaction score
This is my horse farm..http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sleeping- ... 6477525284
I am raising foundation King P-234 bred horses. I love them! :banana: They work hard on our cattle farm and have lots of heart. My mares, Molly and Nellie are due in April/May. They were bred to our stallion APHA King Tuff Stuff affectionately known as G.W. (John Wayne's character in McClintock) G.W was given to me in April 2011 after the April 27th tornado here in Alabama destroyed everything a very dear friend of mine had. Stop by and check them out and don't forget to "like" our page!
Kristy

I couldn't agree with you more! I read somewhere that King bred horses are born broke, and I believe it. My mare Nellie, APHA Crooks Amber Babe, foaled a colt in 2008 out of AQHA King Clip Bar. He is one of our stallions now, I can't begin to tell you what a joy he is to be around.

Very nice pics. your horses are beautiful. Does the previous owner come by often to see he his doing?? Sorry to hear you had to get him because of a tornado.

horsefeed":213djftw said:
Very nice pics. your horses are beautiful. Does the previous owner come by often to see he his doing?? Sorry to hear you had to get him because of a tornado.
Thank you! Yep, the previous owner and I are close friends. I hear from her on a weekly basis. Our mare Molly as well as G.W's sire AQHA King Clip Bar belonged to her sister who moved here from Oklahoma a few yrs. back and sadly passed away unexpectedly. We have two foals by G.W due this spring...I'm very excited!

RHScattle":3fihq6v8 said:
I couldn't agree with you more! I read somewhere that King bred horses are born broke, and I believe it. My mare Nellie, APHA Crooks Amber Babe, foaled a colt in 2008 out of AQHA King Clip Bar. He is one of our stallions now, I can't begin to tell you what a joy he is to be around.

dang close to it. most of them i have been around were always real calm. they didnt get jumpy or startled easy just a real calm horse. I am still a dan of a good doc bar myself. i wish i could get one with the cow sense and quickness that a heavy bred doc bar (not to mention the heart.them little buggers got more heart in them than any other line ive been around) has but the calmness and lack of buck that the king bred has.

Lon":18ntr0ar said:
RHScattle":18ntr0ar said:

dang close to it. most of them i have been around were always real calm. they didnt get jumpy or startled easy just a real calm horse. I am still a dan of a good doc bar myself. i wish i could get one with the cow sense and quickness that a heavy bred doc bar (not to mention the heart.them little buggers got more heart in them than any other line ive been around) has but the calmness and lack of buck that the king bred has.
I am considering breeding my mare AQHA Molly will be good http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/molly+will+be+good to AQHA This Chicks Smart http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/this+chicks+smart this spring. This Chicks Smart is standing at Flying M Farms in Andalusia, Alabama for the 2012 breeding season.

I had an old mare who was King Glo bred..also had Doc Bar and Poco Bueno on her actual papers..Leo one gen. off. I put her down last summer, as her bum leg was bothering her more and more. Still have her daughter, a solid buckskin paint..going to gentle her this year..think she'll make a nice team penner or barrel horse..she is BIG.

We bred to a chic horse one year, Smokin Chic Olena. I was very pleased with the resulting gelding..he was actually out of the king glo mare. sold him to a local guy, who'd ridden hancocks his whole life. Said this little guy was born broke. day worked off him for awhile, then sold him to a 12 year old girl to breakaway rope off of..
this was him as a yearling
spinandslide-albums-delilah-picture70254-p1010165.jpg

all this being said, I think you'll be pleased with the cross you are considering.
and more power to you breeding in this market..:)..I got fed up always coming out on the short end of the stick, even breeding to well known, successful stallions...:)

With having the new horses, will you be feeding them the same thing you already have on hand or will these require something different?

horsefeed":2jewbke9 said:
With having the new horses, will you be feeding them the same thing you already have on hand or will these require something different?
We feed Bermuda hay and Nutrena all stock feed to all of our horses. Our stallion, who was acquired after the April 2011 tornadoes had rice bran added to his feed for a short time while he recouped. He lost weight after the storm, but you wouldn't know by looking at him now..he's one healthy boy! Our older mare, Molly, holds her weight great so she gets hay and grain like the others. I have been known to throw a few treats, i.e.carrots, apples and the occasional alfalfa cubes( for lactating mares :heart: )in their buckets :)

spinandslide":3r69so1s said:
I had an old mare who was King Glo bred..also had Doc Bar and Poco Bueno on her actual papers..Leo one gen. off. I put her down last summer, as her bum leg was bothering her more and more. Still have her daughter, a solid buckskin paint..going to gentle her this year..think she'll make a nice team penner or barrel horse..she is BIG.

We bred to a chic horse one year, Smokin Chic Olena. I was very pleased with the resulting gelding..he was actually out of the king glo mare. sold him to a local guy, who'd ridden hancocks his whole life. Said this little guy was born broke. day worked off him for awhile, then sold him to a 12 year old girl to breakaway rope off of..
this was him as a yearling
spinandslide-albums-delilah-picture70254-p1010165.jpg

all this being said, I think you'll be pleased with the cross you are considering.
and more power to you breeding in this market..:)..I got fed up always coming out on the short end of the stick, even breeding to well known, successful stallions...:)

I never was able to be around to many poco bueno bred ones. the ones i was around alot was the calmest nicest stud i had ever seen and broke real easy was smart and not to jumpy. Than i was around another one that man he was hot. That guy could buck with the power and orneryness of a hancock mixed with the quickness of a doc bar. he was something else.

I've had three that were Poco Bueno bred and I have one now with Poco Bueno and Doc Bar one generation off her papers. I've also started a few in the past for other people. The three that I had were all young horses that I started and sold as finished ranch horses a few years back and the bueno/bar is an older mare that I own now. My experiance with them has been SMART level-headed horses that want to be kind really bad but can sour fast because they learn everything the FIRST TIME and they don't un-learn... No buck at all on any of them. They like to work but won't take punishment like a doc bar bred horse will.
One of the ones that I started I bought as a two year old and she was spoiled rotten and mean on the ground when I got her. I thought she'd get better with miles so I jumped on her and took off and to the day I sold her she was mean on the ground(despite my going back and trying to fix it) and everything that I'd taught her was fine. :lol: The two geldings were broke after the second ride. Easy. Made nice horses.

cow pollinater":7qafg6ia said:
I've had three that were Poco Bueno bred and I have one now with Poco Bueno and Doc Bar one generation off her papers. I've also started a few in the past for other people. The three that I had were all young horses that I started and sold as finished ranch horses a few years back and the bueno/bar is an older mare that I own now. My experiance with them has been SMART level-headed horses that want to be kind really bad but can sour fast because they learn everything the FIRST TIME and they don't un-learn... No buck at all on any of them. They like to work but won't take punishment like a doc bar bred horse will.
One of the ones that I started I bought as a two year old and she was spoiled rotten and mean on the ground when I got her. I thought she'd get better with miles so I jumped on her and took off and to the day I sold her she was mean on the ground(despite my going back and trying to fix it) and everything that I'd taught her was fine. :lol: The two geldings were broke after the second ride. Easy. Made nice horses.

Do they have as much natural cow in them as the doc bar do?
man it is hard to beat a doc bar aint it. the doc bar we got is in his last winter he will be probably living. that old boy was one heck of a horse. small at 14.3 hands and 1000lbs was all but he could pull them big chars around one time even busted the d rings on the breast collor just spread them open. never shoed him in the winter and he was better on his feet on icy ground than most others were with those spiked ice shoes. not to mention you could ride that guy all day give him some good indian rides in the canyons and at end of the day he would still find the gumption to buck like all be nice. never did buck once when he was working though. all heart he was. 22 years old now. i always wondered if you had a cross with a king bred or poco bred one if it would take some buck out of them but i spose at the same time a guy would take alot of the other qualities out of them too.

The pocos that I had would work just as hard but they didn't take it personal if something got by them the way the doc bars do. They were just as tough and just as cowey but without the personality edge. They're kind of a type B squared personality as aposed to the A+ personality that we get from the doc bar horses.
The one and only horse I've ever owned that had doc bar on both sides of his papers was a bronc that was also a really good cow pony. The ONLY time you could count on him not to buck was when he had a job to do. That miserable F*** ruined me on horses for quite a while but I can honestly say that I'd like to have him back because in the country I'm in now he'd be the one that I wouldn't mind killing to get the job done and he'd be just as driven to do it. :nod:

RHScattle,
Glad to hear you didn't have to change feed on them. Just add a little till they got better. Happy to hear everything is going great.

horsefeed":1qa4oylq said:
RHScattle,
Glad to hear you didn't have to change feed on them. Just add a little till they got better. Happy to hear everything is going great.
Thanks you! Now I can go overboard taking care of my expecting mares, lol! I'm super excited :banana: and can't wait for the babies to be here :heart:

I'm excited with you! Can't wait to see the new arrivals. Don't go to far overboard on those mares.

well RHScatttle haven't heard from you in a while how is spoiling that mare going? Can't wait to see pics.

Latest posts