Solid Ranch Horses

Help Support CattleToday:

cross_7

Reaction score
Solid ranch horses have been in short supply since the demise of the screwworm

This was a head line on the Livestock weekly and it started me to thinking what horses used to be like that that were used day in and out doctoring cattle.
I visualize a thick made cow horse about 14.2 hands and 1200#, a lone West Texas cowboy riding out day after day roping and doctoring screw worms.
I bet them horses were automatic after a while and I'd venture to say after a summer of doctoring he'd have a solid string of horses.
I'd bet them old ranchers bowed down and praised the Lord when they eradicated the screwworm, but since that time the ranch horse has played a lesser role in ranching and has been in steady decline ever since.

Lot of kids like me were rented out to other ranches $5 to $10 a day by our parents
to ride catch / doctor sheep and cattle during the screwworm days. Some 12 and 13
year old boys were darn good hands.

That is a nice solid horse. He is the type popular with the calf ropers and bull doggers.

I imagine that it isn't the type of horse that is in short supply, but the type of horse with the training to be a good ranch horse.

ETA: that is why one that is trained well to do it's job costs an arm & an leg.

there are still some around (owned and ridden by real cowmen) but most people don't have the time anymore - too busy driving cars or working off the homestead. Some of the best horses I have seen/ridden in the last 20 years were in northern Mexico. Still being used for daily work is why.

Hippie Rancher":3eyya3b8 said:
there are still some around (owned and ridden by real cowmen) but most people don't have the time anymore - too busy driving cars or working off the homestead. Some of the best horses I have seen/ridden in the last 20 years were in northern Mexico. Still being used for daily work is why.

He came of a big ranch in Texas and out of a better than average cowboys' string
He had him priced at 7500.00 but I don't what he got for him