Slaughter Question

Help Support CattleToday:

MountainFarmChar

Reaction score
Which calf would you prefer to slaughter for your own beef consumption:

1) A calf just weaned (7 months old) but which had access to grain

2) A calf weaned at 7 months and then fed until 12 months old

Please explain your choice?

Not to mention having a bit more age which usually means better taste.

as for being tender.both the weaned an grained calf will be tender.id butcher the 7 month calf afyer 2wks of grain.but as stated the ribbeye will be smaller an less meat.the 12 month old calf will have bigger ribbeye an bigger steaks an more marbling.so the bottomline is what you prefer.if you need meat now.id butcher 1 now.an feed the other out for 5 months.then butcher at 12 months an compare the way the meat tasted.

IMO...I wouldn't slaughter either one of them...just to young to have developed the full beef falvor. Intermuscular fat is produced through out the life of the beef, not just during "finishing" and I feel that a young carcass just doesn't have the marbling and maturity to be the best it could have been. It has been our experience that the more mature animal has the best "beef" flavor. I think that a 30-36 month Herf that has beef grass fed with a grain suppliment for at least 12 months is the absolute best for flavor and eating enjoyment....my cardiologist does not approve.
And thats my two bits worth...asked for or not....DMc

Susie David":9zvjyl1i said:
IMO...I wouldn't slaughter either one of them...just to young to have developed the full beef falvor. Intermuscular fat is produced through out the life of the beef, not just during "finishing" and I feel that a young carcass just doesn't have the marbling and maturity to be the best it could have been. It has been our experience that the more mature animal has the best "beef" flavor. I think that a 30-36 month Herf that has beef grass fed with a grain suppliment for at least 12 months is the absolute best for flavor and eating enjoyment....my cardiologist does not approve.
And thats my two bits worth...asked for or not....DMc

It was ask for...Thanks.

I likem 1200 to 1400 lbs. I feed out on ber. grass hay and corn, for 60 to 90 days....Killed ba, ba x her , and ba x char fed all the same, could not tell the diff....

Latest posts