skipping a feeding

Help Support CattleToday:

RAWCJW

Reaction score
Hello I am currently feeding some steers out.I have them up to 9 lbs corn in morning and 9 at night per steer free choice hay. The family wants to go camping this weekend so I would miss sat night and sun morning .What happens if I miss a feeding do I double it at night. I am worried I will mess up there reumen Do I start low and work the numbers up a lb at atime or what? What do you do? Please no TTclm

missing 2 feeding wont hurt them.id just make sure they have enough hay to last till you get back as well as water.

On the cattle we fed for county fair we would skip a feeding every so often, usually sunday night. It seemed that by doing this their appitite stayed up and you got more total pounds of feed into them by feeding 13 times/week than 14. I wouldn't double feed either time as I think this may have a better chance of screwing up the gut than by just missing. Give them hay and water and they should be fine.

RAWCJW":3fjqkhat said:
Hello I am currently feeding some steers out.I have them up to 9 lbs corn in morning and 9 at night per steer free choice hay. The family wants to go camping this weekend so I would miss sat night and sun morning .What happens if I miss a feeding do I double it at night. I am worried I will mess up there reumen Do I start low and work the numbers up a lb at atime or what? What do you do? Please no TTclm

That is 18 lbs/day, and that is too much corn to be able to skip a feeding. You miss 2 feedings, and the chances of acidosis are very real. If you cannot find someone whom you can trust to feed them while you're gone, you are stuck at home feeding your steers - it's as simple as that.

msscamp":31tgm9h1 said:
RAWCJW":31tgm9h1 said:

That is 18 lbs/day, and that is too much corn to be able to skip a feeding. You miss 2 feedings, and the chances of acidosis are very real. If you cannot find someone whom you can trust to feed them while you're gone, you are stuck at home feeding your steers - it's as simple as that.
Agreed.

The day after you go back to normal rations you could likely find a few of them bloated up......maybe some dead.
no kidding.

If I did skip a feeding I would not give them a full feeding when I started back. I would gradually get them back to a full feeding.

RAWCJW":srvjruot said:

Just keep out plenty of hay for them. When you get back introduce the grain ration back to them slowly. Are you feeding straight corn?? If so maybe start out with a complete feed with less corn, feed less of it and then gradually increase over time and if possible break it down into 3 feedings per day rather than two.

Latest posts