Skilled trades

Help Support CattleToday:

What type of training facilities are available in canada? Are there unions that offer apprenticeship programs? If you like to weld, plumbers and pipefitters both can do alot of welding. Commercial electricians do alot better than residential electricians. I am a union plumbing contractor. Union skilled trades are among the few occupations left that have good health and retirement benefits. If you like working the farm, I would not consider going into business for yourself. Particularly, if you can find a trade that you like that has health and retirement benefits. Trying to establish a business and take care of the farm both is very stressful and can have a real impact on quality of life. I'm not saying that it can't be done, just make sure the price you pay is worth it. Working for someone as a journeyman at whatever trade you choose will allow you to live the best of both worlds very comfortably. Just make sure whatever trade you choose you like in the worst of conditions. (snow, cold, mud, rain and so on). Good Luck!

Bear

Aaron":29gin58v said:
So I am looking for any insight any of you may have on some of the trades. I am done my university Science degree and am looking to go for a trade next. I have four possible choice areas and am trying to narrow it down to one field (the colleges I apply to will also help in doing it as some don't offer certain trades). Everyone else around me has offered their opinion and I figured I might as well hear what people on here have to say on the pros/cons.

The trades I am looking at are:
~Heavy Duty Mechanics
~Welding
~Electrician
~Plumbing

Thanks. :cowboy:

A couple of questions for you Aaron. Do you plan on living in a rural area or city? Will you want to farm, raise cattle in addition to this trade? Which one of those four trades have you had the most experience with at the farm and like doing the best?

Union Steamfitters/Welders make pretty good money around here. The United Association of Plumbers, Steamfitters, Welders, HVAC techs has a pretty good website at ua.org. They cover the US and Canada. There is supposed to be alot of work coming up in Canada.

ksl1":xcmuzp6y said:
Union Steamfitters/Welders make pretty good money around here. The United Association of Plumbers, Steamfitters, Welders, HVAC techs has a pretty good website at ua.org. They cover the US and Canada. There is supposed to be alot of work coming up in Canada.

That's me. Retired @ 55 with thirty-five years. Usually could do enough in 6 to 8 months each year to spend the rest of the year @ home with the cows (and wife).
The trade has been good to me. It's like everything else, you get out of it what you put in it. The oil sands in Canada will provide a tremendous amount of work for skilled tradesmen for years to come. The U.A. spends over 70 million a year training apprentices. Once you learn a trade, you'll always have it to fall back on, no matter which direction you choose in life.

fitz

bear":1uydsoab said:
What type of training facilities are available in canada? Are there unions that offer apprenticeship programs? If you like to weld, plumbers and pipefitters both can do alot of welding. Commercial electricians do alot better than residential electricians. I am a union plumbing contractor. Union skilled trades are among the few occupations left that have good health and retirement benefits. If you like working the farm, I would not consider going into business for yourself. Particularly, if you can find a trade that you like that has health and retirement benefits. Trying to establish a business and take care of the farm both is very stressful and can have a real impact on quality of life. I'm not saying that it can't be done, just make sure the price you pay is worth it. Working for someone as a journeyman at whatever trade you choose will allow you to live the best of both worlds very comfortably. Just make sure whatever trade you choose you like in the worst of conditions. (snow, cold, mud, rain and so on). Good Luck!

Bear

We've never met but I already like you. Hope you have a very prosperous and profitable '09.

fitz

Congrats on your college degree, thats one thing no one can take away from you. You have received lots of good advice from people in all fields. I don't think you will ever go wrong by working union jobs. The benefits are priceless and the pay is usually better. It always paid off for me. Best of luck to you.
Tom.

Latest posts