hiefers for hay.........drought zone trades?

Help Support CattleToday:

dieselbeef

Reaction score
sposing i was to haul 20 rolls of 5x5 bales halfway to your place in the drought zone...you haul me hiefers.
we meet somewhere halfway and swap trlrs....gooseneck trlrs...you take mine home and unload it. ill put as many rolls in it for the return trip a month later or so as itll take. you bring me back my trlr and cash for whatever haul back.

why cant someone figure this out logistically. if it was done witha cpl small semi trucks this could work for a cpl honest people couldnt it?

any input....jus throwin it out there...

gary

frt and logistics still make it economically unfeasible
say you haul 20 bales and get 10mpg for 600 miles that is $225 plus the what you have in the hay

the owner of the hfrs hauls them 600 miles and everything being the same he has $225 in the haul then hauls they hay back so he has $550 plus the cost of hfrs in hay
so lets say the hay is worth $20 pr bale
20 bales = 400 so if he traded you one hfrs fo 20 bales plus his 550 in gas those 20 bales of hay cost him a minnimum of 47.50 pr bale and
and in reality if she was a 4wt hfr she should bring $600 so he actually has 1150 in 20 rolls of hay and the actual cost pr bale would be $57.50 pr bale
why would he do that when he could stay at home not have to worry about breakdowns or any other expenses and sell that hfr at the barn and go buy hay for an extra $10 pr bale

like I said frt and logistics is what is running the hay prices up NOT the actual price of the hay

well i was just thinkin out loud since i had seen the prices of a bale goin for 60 bucks...able to buy them here for 25-30 it was a thought.

aparently you thopught it out more than i did..kinda why i threw it out there..

I'm trying to talk my hay supplier into making a couple runs to Tx. Right now I can buy either coastal or bahia 4x5's rolled tight for 30 bucks picked up at his barn. If he could bring out a semi, that's 48 or so rolls that he could make a good honest profit on at 70 bucks or so a roll. The wet weather here has put a damper on cutting and rolling tho.

Gary there use to be a lot of paperwork involved in hauling cattle from state to state. TB, Bangs, quarantine, retesting etc. Been a long time so I don't know what the rules are now.

hooknline":3kjlpjd0 said:
I'm trying to talk my hay supplier into making a couple runs to Tx. Right now I can buy either coastal or bahia 4x5's rolled tight for 30 bucks picked up at his barn. If he could bring out a semi, that's 48 or so rolls that he could make a good honest profit on at 70 bucks or so a roll. The wet weather here has put a damper on cutting and rolling tho.
he must have some big a$$ illegal trailer trailer as on my 53ft I can only get 40 4x5s

After about 5 miles hay transport costs get unacceptable. AC can do a bit better than that with big loads and good hay. But in general, hay doesn't move far from where it is grown.

Angus been seeing them come by here for weeks now hauling corn and milo stalks...big rolls...46 rolls to the load. They're using drop deck trailers, double stacking 12 on bottom 11 on top and the bag two bales are about half on/half off the trailer. Loaded so close up front looks like the tractor hardly has room to turn.

Angus Cowman":3avwkxes said:
I haul 38-40 on a 52ft dropdeck If I had a rack on the back I could get 2 extra but I ain't gonna crowd em that hard plus if they are squishing that much then they probably are a little on the loose side
Oh these aren't squishing. I guess they strap those two backs ones down while they're still on the hay spear. All net wrapped...round as a ball...uniform...makes a beautiful load of hay. I was more impressed with the loading stacking precision as the hay. (stalks).

Latest posts