Skidsteer

Help Support CattleToday:

sanchez

Reaction score
I'm looking at picking up a skidsteer to help out with chores and construction. I've been to a few dealers and am at a whirlwind as to what direction to take. Any input on brand or model preferences?

We currently have an ASV. The tracks are amazing they go anywhere. However, the cost of a tracked machine is much more than wheeled one. We use it to clean barns loading/unloading hay, dirt moving, we also use it to build fence (we built a hydraulic post auger that can be mounted to the bucket). That machine will go anywhere even places you can't walk due to too soft of conditions. It also handles hills much better than wheel machines.

We used to have a case uniloader. It was a good machine but got stuck if and when I got in too deep and tipped too easy on our hilly ground, Not a fault of case just the wheels. Case are extreamly easy to work on.

We have considered getting a CAT skid steer with wheels as an adition to the ASV, but then the mud comes...and we think again.

Too answer you main question: Brand would be ASV for tracks and CAT for wheeled. On model number that would depend on what size you need/want.

RiverSide Cattle":1bfmzv2m said:
We currently have an ASV. The tracks are amazing they go anywhere. However, the cost of a tracked machine is much more than wheeled one. We use it to clean barns loading/unloading hay, dirt moving, we also use it to build fence (we built a hydraulic post auger that can be mounted to the bucket). That machine will go anywhere even places you can't walk due to too soft of conditions. It also handles hills much better than wheel machines.

We used to have a case uniloader. It was a good machine but got stuck if and when I got in too deep and tipped too easy on our hilly ground, Not a fault of case just the wheels. Case are extreamly easy to work on.

We have considered getting a CAT skid steer with wheels as an adition to the ASV, but then the mud comes...and we think again.

Too answer you main question: Brand would be ASV for tracks and CAT for wheeled. On model number that would depend on what size you need/want.

Thanks for your response. Okay, more so, what horse power range should I look at. I'm looking to use a few attachments, including a concrete breaker and a post driver.

I don't know much about concrete breakers but here is what I know about Post Drivers: Most (if not all) are Hydraulic and require a flow from as little as 7 gpm to as high as 15gpm. Most run quite nicely on as little as 10gpm which is the flow you'll find on the smallest skidsteers out there. Midsized and up have around 15-20 gpm plenty for Post Drivers.

I hate to be vague but the quickest way to answer your question may be to determine what you want to lift (weight) and then compare that to the spec sheet, of the brand you think you like, that will give you a model number. Go the next size bigger its not good to always be maxing out you equipment.

For doing chores in and around barns smaller is better
For breaking concrete bigger is better.

Either way they are a blast to operate.

IMG_1333.jpg

I like the New Hollands,put tracks on it when needed,works pretty good................good luck

new holland has been good to me. track machines are nice if you can afford the price tag. i have a wheeled machine about 78hp. it can do whatever i need done. have a grapple attachment as well. you can always buy tracks that go over the wheels if tracks are something you may need later. there are a lot of brands out there. new holland has foot controls which some people don't like. not sure what other brands have foot controls. most controls are on the joysticks. takes some getting use to. hope this helps

I have an S-300 BobCat and an 1845 case. I have had no problem with either. I would go with the larger machine. I can move just about anything I want to with the Bobcat and a set of grapples. The steel tracks add more weight for lifting, and will help prevent flats, that's on top of the added traction. If you have any brush clearing or fence lines to clean off you will be glad you have the grapples and the tracks. Make sure you get the auxiliary hydraulics, the high flow is preferable. Regardless of the machine you buy make darn sure there is a dealer near you. Getting parts and service is a major issue.

Now just because you have tracks does not mean they cannot get stuck. Here are some pics I posted some time ago.
http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/viewto ... hlight=bog

RiverSide Cattle":tjqrch7o said:

Cat also makes some nice tracked ones with plenty of power and hydraulic flow

Awesome - thanks for all the replies.

From my understanding, attachments are pretty much universal throughout as long as I have aux hydraulics, correct?

They are pretty much universal with one exception. Some of the motors are designed for high flow, some for low flow. Make sure you ask when buying and match to whatever you have. Some equipment is designed for high flow only.

at our farm we have a 753 bobcat.....couple minor issues and its a turtle but not horrible. We also have a new holland, its mid size and its a dream

at our farm we have a 753 bobcat.....couple minor issues and its a turtle but not horrible. We also have a new holland, its mid size and its a dream

Latest posts