six week old calf cannot get up?

Help Support CattleToday:

devonian

Reaction score
Hi I have a six week old calf that had a bad start (its the same calf that wouldn't suck that I asked about a few weeks ago) its still alive but not a bundle of health. The main issue with it is that it will lie down flat on its side and cannot get up after (it kicks its legs but cannot get up), so I have been standing it up three times a day after which it goes straight to the mothers teat for a feed so there is life in it. Its a little hunched and grinds its teeth and I think has some frothing around the mouth although that could be from milk so not sure. The vet didn't seem to know exactly whats wrong hes given it antibiotics and metacam and now steroids and antibiotics, I think the antibiotis/ metacam worked somewhat from the first visit in that the calf got up on its own a few times for a few days, now its back to lying on its side, other than that I'm at a loss as what to do its future looks bleak. Anyway just posting here on the off chance anyone has any ideas thanks.

A few years ago I had a calf around 200 lbs that seemed normal, was in nice shape, could suck the mother from the ground, but could not get up. Apparently it was worms cause about three days after a good worming it was back to normal. If your calf is sick the wormer might not be a good ideal though. Farmers have to be a jack of all trades, so I have tried everything, sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.

Last edited:
The teeth grinding is most likely a sign of pain.
Almost always. But years ago we had a calf that suddenly went down, grinding her teeth, acting sluggish, couldn't nurse and she had been fully vaccinated. Vet couldn't figure out exactly what was wrong but suspected she had an aneurysm. You've seen people with severe neurological injuries that have a slack jaw and involuntary movements with their mouth? It was horrible and she had to be euthanized.

Sorry can't be of any help, but what TCRanch says sounds plausible. Maybe the calf had something wrong with the brain from the get go, thus the problems with feeding etc.
Not sure what to tell you. It sucks when all the help doesn't make a difference.

What a crappy situation, its always been a littel weird this calve with a slightly tilted head but that seems to have gone now and this not being able to get up was not a thing for the first couple of weeks of its life... hmm... ok thanks.

Selinium and B vitamin shot. I had a calf that was born 6 weeks early cow was AI'd , and he couldn't stand up he had seizures, and what fixed him was 3 shot's of Selinium each Single shot given every 4 days until he'd received all 3 of the shots, and dumping a measuring tablespoon of loose mineral in hi mouth every 3 days.

You all are a lot stronger than I am....grinding teeth bothers me really bad. I'd MIGHT try the dewormer and antibiotics....but after the 2nd or 3rd day I'd put the calf down. As jltrent said.....got to be a jack of all trades...which includes a timely kill and burial. To be truthful...I'd probably put the calf down within hours of seeing the teeth grinding.

You all are a lot stronger than I am....grinding teeth bothers me really bad. I'd MIGHT try the dewormer and antibiotics....but after the 2nd or 3rd day I'd put the calf down. As jltrent said.....got to be a jack of all trades...which includes a timely kill and burial. To be truthful...I'd probably put the calf down within hours of seeing the teeth grinding.
Agree and most likely put the mother on the short cull list as I have a fairly good mineral and vitamin regimen.

Almost always. But years ago we had a calf that suddenly went down, grinding her teeth, acting sluggish, couldn't nurse and she had been fully vaccinated. Vet couldn't figure out exactly what was wrong but suspected she had an aneurysm. You've seen people with severe neurological injuries that have a slack jaw and involuntary movements with their mouth? It was horrible and she had to be euthanized.
Grinding teeth seems to me to also be a sign of brain damage
I would definitely be on my list. Along with the not getting up on its own.
If the vet could diagnose at all, it think I would make certain I was using an experienced large animal vet.
Is the calf frothing all the time?

I would definitely be on my list. Along with the not getting up on its own.
If the vet could diagnose at all, it think I would make certain I was using an experienced large animal vet.
Is the calf frothing all the time?
Not all the time, the vet was quite young, I suggested he call an older more experienced vet but the old man big boss was there at the time and dismissed the idea and wants to cut losses.

Latest posts