Sioux Steel Hay Max Feeders

Help Support CattleToday:

BWfarms

Reaction score
I'm always implementing new ideas and although it's August, I'm already thinking ahead to purchasing new hay feeders. I like the Sioux Steel Hay Max feeder systems with the suspended bales using tubing instead of chains. Not sure if I like the bracing method at the bottom of the round version. I want opinions and prices from owners that have these round or square systems. Also any reviews on comparable suspended hay feeders. These will be used in small feed yards so not interested in the wagons for this set up.

What I'm specifically looking for is; Price you paid? Durability? Stability?

I'm going to follow your thread BW. I feed about 400 rolls a year. Just a 10% savings of waisted hay would save me $1600. The unroll it on the ground camp, will stop by, but that won't work for me.

I understand the hay unroller crowd. I have taken squares and spread them out to help reseed problem areas. Unrolling rounds has no real added benefit to me since my pastures are under strict rotational grazing. Plus my purpose is to not waste hay and I strongly feel unrolling wastes more forage since cattle won't eat soiled forage. Unless starving and I don't want to contend with health problems.

I have success pressure feeding bales and elevating bales on pallets in the hay ring. Problem is I want more heads to stay in since they are pulling clumps out and inadvertently drop hay in mud. I would love to use the wagons but the area I'm setting up in is not suitable for the long wagons. Wagons are more suitable in larger lots and pastures. Bigfoot, I think you would see greater than a $1600 savings with suspended bales.

Jake, the Bextra's don't look like they elevate the bales. Do calves and cows step into the ring? Explain why you like this feeder.

IABeef, I am familiar with that feeder out of South Dakota. Haven't found a dealer here in North Carolina. What was your cost?

They do not elevate the bales and no they don't step in. It essentially creates a feedbunk around the bale and the best part is that calves cannot get in and get stuck or tromp on the bales.

BWfarms":3sxjbxwu said:
Jake, the Bextra's don't look like they elevate the bales. Do calves and cows step into the ring? Explain why you like this feeder.

IABeef, I am familiar with that feeder out of South Dakota. Haven't found a dealer here in North Carolina. What was your cost?
Hi BW Beef, we have a dealer in Owenton, KY and I'm talking with a person in SC about shipping feeders to him. If your interested in more contact us; [email protected]. Our feeders are 18 yrs old and still in use. Our cattle feeders are reversible if its rust your worried about.

Latest posts