single or dually ?

Help Support CattleToday:

beanie

Reaction score
hi guys , im lookn to replace my 1990 gmc 2500 4x4 with something newer , would really like to have a 4x4 dually reg. cab. gas but they are few n far between and pricy, im finding lots of 3/4 ton 4x4 in my price range , i have a 16' gooseneck livestock trailer , and 18' flat bed gooseneck , plan on buying ether a 6 or 8 bale gooseneck , who all has a dually 4x4 and how do you like it ?

beanie":1s4j2rxp said:
hi guys , im lookn to replace my 1990 gmc 2500 4x4 with something newer , would really like to have a 4x4 dually reg. cab. gas but they are few n far between and pricy, im finding lots of 3/4 ton 4x4 in my price range , i have a 16' gooseneck livestock trailer , and 18' flat bed gooseneck , plan on buying ether a 6 or 8 bale gooseneck , who all has a dually 4x4 and how do you like it ?
A couple ?s first
Where are you located?
how often do you pull trailers?

I run dually's but I pull alot heavier loads than you do, I pull a 32' tandem dual flatbed am grossing usually over 30K and and I am in some pretty rough country and 80% of my driving is on Rock (not gravel) roads or in rough pastures
IMO the with the size of the trailers you are pulling a Dually would be over kill and is not needed at all

I agree with AC that the choice between a dually and SRW depends on where you are located (driving conditions) and the trailer size/loads/frequency.

Basically with a large trailer especially on slippery, wet roads or in high winds, highway travel: with a SRW PU the trailer is in charge, with a Dually the truck is in charge.

You have to decide if the benefits are worth the drawbacks (width, parking, cost, tires etc) in your situation. Personally I favor duals with a significant trailer and load in northern conditions and winter roads. Farther south it is probably not as important. Good luck.

Jim

I have had dually's since I was 16 will probably never be without atleast 1 right now we have 2 and I have been known to have 3 or 4
I messed up a few yrs ago and sold my semi and I WILL have another one to do my pulling with

as SR said alot depneds on where you are if I lived down in the delta where Jed does I wouldn't have one for my evryday truck because of all the gumbo mud duallys have the tendency to walk around in that kinda mud

AC brings up another good point I forgot - duallies are not good in snow or mud - they tend to floast over rather than bite into snow. For that reason the duallies we buy are all also 4wd and we make sure there is pleanty of fuel in the transfer tank for weight on the back especially in the winter. Jim

A dually will take all the drama usually associated with pulling a trailer away! Far fewer white knuckle trips!

I have a dodge diesel 2500 4X4 and I pull a 30 foot dual tandem goose neck FB.
I haul 17 4X5 round bales of hay on it.
It handles fine, but I don't drive it like its a sport car.
Keep good load range E tires on it, and never had any problems.

KenB":2mxfr9mr said:
you are hauling 17 where as we haul 26 on ours pulling with a dually

beanie":eucpldb3 said:

Wether it's two or four in the rear if I'm going to drive a truck that big around I want 4 doors. Just so much nicer in my opinion.

Angus Cowman":1evyq78y said:
KenB":1evyq78y said:

That's all that will fit on my 30 foot, (5x6 = 30) 2 rows of 6 on the bottom, 1 row of 5 down the middle.

KenB":21xrcp7x said:
Angus Cowman":21xrcp7x said:
KenB":21xrcp7x said:

That's all that will fit on my 30 foot, (5x6 = 30) 2 rows of 6 on the bottom, 1 row of 5 down the middle.
I run a 32' and double stack on top put 14 on bottom just have to shove them up real tight and strap the last 2 on the back and then put 12 on top
last load I weighed was grossing 43,000 little to much for a 1 ton especially in our hills
sure do miss my semi :lol:

Angus Cowman":1v1xb8s6 said:
KenB":1v1xb8s6 said:
Angus Cowman":1v1xb8s6 said:

I run a 32' and double stack on top put 14 on bottom just have to shove them up real tight and strap the last 2 on the back and then put 12 on top
last load I weighed was grossing 43,000 little to much for a 1 ton especially in our hills
sure do miss my semi :lol:

I would say you are way more over loaded with your 1 ton then I am with my 3/4 ton.
Those must be very small rolls, In order to get 14 on a 32 foot they have to be compressed to less than 2.3 feet diameter.
The ones that I am hauling are tight full 5 foot rolls.

If I were pulling your trailers I think I would just get a 1ton SRW,but I you want DRW's go for it.I have DRW's but I pull a stock trailer thats almost twice as long and 8 ft wide.I pull a 40ft bale trailer(10 bale) with a 96 f250 and get along great with that setup.

beanie":1bmm2sek said:

A dually is way overkill. Run some good 10ply tires and you are more than good.

KenB":3k8fphua said:
I would say you are way more over loaded with your 1 ton then I am with my 3/4 ton.
Those must be very small rolls, In order to get 14 on a 32 foot they have to be compressed to less than 2.3 feet diameter.
Not small at all and not looses
I think your MATH is a little off 7 bales x 2 rows equal 14 the back 2 stick over a little
these bales are averaging 950 to 1050lb on grass you won't get them much heavier

Angus Cowman":335har72 said:
KenB":335har72 said:
Not small at all and not looses
I think your MATH is a little off 7 bales x 2 rows equal 14 the back 2 stick over a little
these bales are averaging 950 to 1050lb on grass you won't get them much heavier

:oops: :oops: Yes you are correct, my math was way more than a little off.

Unless you are pulling some big loads like AC, I would vote for a single. I've talked to several guys with dually pickups and they hate them because of the extra width on the rear end. Most of the guys with them around here are pulling huge stock trailers, big hay hauling rigs, or moving oil field materials (which is very heavy stuff!). I would also vote against a regular cab. You may think a crew cab is a waste but I am a single guy and I find the extra cab space very handy for all sorts of things. Ultimately the decision is yours. That's just my 2 cents.

or you could be like me and have both! I have a Ford F450 (dually) and a Ford F250 (single) and I guess you could count the new Silverado..but it is too light for any farm work....... :eek:

BC

I have had both SRW Chevy 2500HDs & a Duelly 3500HD. I like the way the duelly pulled my trailers when loaded but, based on my pulling needs, I now only have a 2500HD 4x4 crewcab.

The duelly was a lot more stabil when pulling but a pain for an everday driver.

The folks here are giving you some good info. Listen to them. I suspect that the 3/4 truck would be exactly what you need.

Latest posts