Simmy bull pic

Help Support CattleToday:

certherfbeef

Reaction score
Just ordered a unit or two of this feller for use on some big commercial herefords. Looking for the clubby marketability we have here with out the reprocussions of the clubby sires.
Any opinons?
sm90mobe.jpg

Here is a link to his numbers via Genex.
http://cridata.crinet.com/beef/index.ph ... 90&lang=EN

Never had heard of him before, but he looks nice. Got some nice length, nice top, big boned. Probably work pretty nice. Be interested is seeing some of his calves.

Only worry I would have and I am real bad at this, but I lean to thinking he is a little larger framed, than some of the moderate sized bulls most use for club calves. But like I said unless I see a couple bulls side by side or in person hard for me to tell if I am off base on this area.

Honestly, I'm using him in hopes for a crop of heifers to retain. Maybe a bull to raise.

I like the base of the commercial herd to be a little bigger framed. Gives me more freedom as far as which bull to use for which market I'm targeting.

certherfbeef":3ueitn3l said:
Honestly, I'm using him in hopes for a crop of heifers to retain. Maybe a bull to raise.

I like the base of the commercial herd to be a little bigger framed. Gives me more freedom as far as which bull to use for which market I'm targeting.

Looks good from the pic for a Simm do you know his frame and weight.

Caustic Burno":2m5b3wef said:
certherfbeef":2m5b3wef said:

6.5 frame Caustic and 2300 lbs.

certherfbeef":c00bhvt3 said:
Caustic Burno":c00bhvt3 said:
certherfbeef":c00bhvt3 said:

6.5 frame Caustic and 2300 lbs.

Well he is for sure grown.

I like him, he should cross nice with your Herfords and give you some real nice (batman style) black baldies. :)

certherfbeef,

When you are talking about the frame of this bull. What are you talking about ? And by knowing a bull's frame what does this tell you ? And does the frame range on a scale from 0 to 10 ?

Van C

I looked over that web address and all i could find was a frame score calculator. You enter the animal's height and age then it computes it's frame size. But i still dont understand what you can tell from a frame size.

Stepper,

I pick a bull that will not only compliment my cattle but point me in the direction I want to go. Right now I have more of a market for club calves than herefords.

I also have some really big herefords. I'm talking 7 frame and over 1500lbs. Matter of fact, two of them taped 1800lbs last spring right after they calved. But some of them are lighter quartered and sickled in the hind leg. I think this bull will help. I can use him to get the baldie calf and not sacrifice thickness and bone like I would with an angus.

I have a few smaller framed cows and some crossbreds that are smaller framed. My plan is to use this bull on the smaller framed cows. His frame should keep the herd where I like it. I also get the soundness of him and the maternal he brings with it.
My large framed cows will be bred to a more "clubby" type bull or my hereford bull.
My hereford bull cleans up and breeds all the heifers. I'm really likeing that young bull's calves as well. But, I'm out of the loop as far as selling herefords anymore.

Mike C

That is a very good web address. It gives a very good discription and explanation about frame score. Thanks

certherbeef, have you used many simmental bulls on your herfords in the past or is this a new direction? If so which ones have you had success with?

aplusmnt":1u3g5k60 said:
certherbeef, have you used many simmental bulls on your herfords in the past or is this a new direction? If so which ones have you had success with?

Most of my young cows and this years yearlings are out of a Meyer 734 son. That bull is now 10 and on the cull list. His daughters are very maternal but have 734's marketablilty. They are also sound as cats and even tempered. That bull is out of a chifer. Has served the neighbor and I very well.

AIing to a simmy is a new thing. I also have some Winchester semen I will use next year on some black cows. He is a red simmy.

Latest posts