Simmental Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

charlie01

Reaction score
I would like your views on these four heifers both positive and negative ones.
These are my top picks out of a sale draft of 10. One of these heifers will be the beginning of my Simmental stud, that's if I actually win the final bid.

The bottom two I think look like the best cow candidates. Extra rib and broodiness. I really don't care for the top two at all. I just prefer a little softer made female than what they are.

I like all 4. I always love the tradionals. 2 & 3 I like better than 1 & 4. 4 Looks to be a little smaller than the other 3 but that could just be the pic. Good luck

4 is my favorite, she is the most broody, feminine one in the group. She has the best rib and capacity in the group. How do their EPD's look?

#4 or nothing. The rest are neither broody nor feminine, and I'm going to guess that they probably don't walk very good. Short and off in their hip, and a couple of them look like they have little or no flex in their pasterns. To me, #4 blows the rest away.

wbvs58":2cp77vbs said:
Charlie, what are you up to now? Last I heard you were off to by some bred Angus cows.
1 is my pick.
Ken

hahaha yes I know, couldn't make my mind up. :| That fell through. This may sound stupid but the Simmental breed have been favourite for a long time and I was more influenced to purchase angus's due to my dad saying he was buying an angus bull for the commercial herd.

4 and then 1. Keep breeding them. I really feel the time will come when the full blood continentals will again be in big demand as terminal sires over straight British cross cows.

ricebeltrancher":xnwfu1h4 said:
#4 or nothing. The rest are neither broody nor feminine, and I'm going to guess that they probably don't walk very good. Short and off in their hip, and a couple of them look like they have little or no flex in their pasterns. To me, #4 blows the rest away.

I agree, you could place this class several ways but there is no way that #4 isn't on top by a wide margin.

This is based off of one picture of each, in real life and on the move it could all be different but here goes. Right or wrong this is how I see them

4-1-2-3
#4 has balance, is deep sided, good hipped, decent length and has a nice topline, she looks like she could produce calves for you to build your herd off of. It should not be hard to find bulls that compliment her. (she took a good picture)

#1 a Deep bodied heifer, does not appear to have the length of the #4 heifer, she does have a meat maker look to her with adequate structure. Would not be a bad fall back heifer, if #4 is not available, should still produce a good calf you can grow your herd with, she looks like she may be a bit large when she hits maturity. I would use real maternal bulls on her (a different angle in the picture could have changes the way she looks in length)

#2 is not near as deep as the #4 or #1 heifers, she has good length and balance but she lacks the capacity of the first 2 heifers. She is the least feminine of the 4, has a bit more leather up front as well. She would not be a heifer I would want to start a herd from. (I think she is what she is a different picture would not change her look much)

#3 Her front third is fine, she has body but from there she falls apart for me, she looks like she is roached toped and is weaker in the hind quarter, she has more middle than the #2 heifer but structurally I had to put her on the bottom. (This heifer more than any may have fared better with a different picture, she may not roach at all and foot placement could change everything in the rear third.) I would take another look at her and see if it was the picture or the heifer. If it was the heifer and not the picture I would stay away from her as a cow prospect.

charlie01":2r1t69i2 said:
wbvs58":2r1t69i2 said:
Charlie, what are you up to now? Last I heard you were off to by some bred Angus cows.
1 is my pick.
Ken

hahaha yes I know, couldn't make my mind up. :| That fell through. This may sound stupid but the Simmental breed have been favourite for a long time and I was more influenced to purchase angus's due to my dad saying he was buying an angus bull for the commercial herd.
Well Charlie what ever you decide, go for it. While where you are located it is real Angus country, the Simmental would do equally well and possibly not oversupplied giving good marketing opportunity for crossbreeding with Angus.
My biggest suggestion is to get along to an AI course as soon as possible if you haven't already.
All the best with it, I will be looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
Ken

Latest posts