simmental color

Help Support CattleToday:

tja477t

Reaction score
im looking at what i guess you would call a traditional simmental cow. it is light brown with white markings all over actually similar to a holstein markings. If i breed her to my registered BA should the calf be solid colored or is it a crap shoot.

If the cow is a dilutor, you may come up with some pecualiar looking spots that aren;t quite as dark as others.

since she is a real light "blonde" with white markings would that make her a dilutor. never looked at her papers does simmental breed record any of this.

Yes, that would make her a dilutor. I don;t think the papers would indicate it.

Most likely her calves will be grey calves if she's bred to a black Angus bull. Plus she will put a white face on her calves and occasionally few spots. I would be surprised if she throws a full solid black calf.

Alot depends on the individual's genes I think, but from a traditional marked Sim like you're describing and an Angus bull sometimes I would get black with mottley face or some white on the underline or legs, but several of the calves I got were marked with spots or some variation of almost a belt similar to this girl I kept from that cross.She raises great calves, but she passes on the markings to some of her calves, so I never know how her calves will be marked up.

A.J.":39yj4tro said:
Alot depends on the individual's genes I think, but from a traditional marked Sim like you're describing and an Angus bull sometimes I would get black with mottley face or some white on the underline or legs, but several of the calves I got were marked with spots or some variation of almost a belt similar to this girl I kept from that cross.She raises great calves, but she passes on the markings to some of her calves, so I never know how her calves will be marked up.

There have been few instances of Sim throws belted or partial belted calves. Completely different belt gene from the Belted Galloway and Dutch belted. Linda aka cowgirl8 has produced few belted Sims and there is a member in here had a belted Sim calf born this year out of registered Sim parents.

so what i could have is a nice simangus calf that everybody thinks has belted galloway in it. that should sell good

tja477t":96hll60u said:
so what i could have is a nice simangus calf that everybody thinks has belted galloway in it. that should sell good
it's unlikely that you'll have a belted or a spotted calf out of that cross.

There's a wide range of possibilities in what you might get from that mating.
When you say 'light brown', do you actually mean 'brown' or are you talking 'light(diluted) red'?
My herd goes back to some of the 1970-80s era Simmental bulls, and I have cows ranging from a good dark red to yellow/orange to silver-gray to mousy and chocolate brown - black bulls don't necessarily give a black calf when crossed over a cow with the color dilution gene (and other modifiers).

You could get a solid black calf... but you might also get a spotted or white-face calf that might be black... or one of (less than) 50 shades of gray

Latest posts