Simmental bull Preferred Stock

Help Support CattleToday:

ENNOT

Reaction score
Can the Simmental people please give me some informtation on this bull. I have some Angus cows that I would like to get some new blood in and I was looking into Simmental.

How is his birthweight/calving ease, disposition, etc.

Thanks

I am looking for information on Preferred Stock because I am interested in using a couple of purebred and Sim-Angus sons by him.

Oh, I see.

I know his big name sons tend to be pretty good calvers. Stock Exchange, Preferred Beef, Fortune 500, etc. all have some fairly high calving ease EPDs.

LRS Preferred Stock 370C
CE 6.4 BW 2.2 WW 50.6* YW 96.7* MCE 3.5 MM 2.1

These are his CURRENT EPD's.
He is better than average for the breed for CE & BW and is a trait leader for weaning and yearling weights.
But - he is just 50% of the equasion - you need to know the EPD's of the bulls you are interested in.
I would consider him & his "known" sons as being good calvers. A bull with these EPD's could be used on well grown out heifers.
No dispostion problems in this line of cattle that I'm aware of. P Stock has produced some of the top cattle in our breed.

Jeanna - Do you have any good semen stud websites to look through?

Also, for straight/crossbred Angus cows, how low in Simmental BW & CE epds do I want to get for sure fire calving ease.

The smallest cows are probably FS 5 with good capacity and pelvic width. Some of these cows have had 90 lb Angus calves, but I have never used Simmental and want to make sure they equate with the type of cows we are running.

Cattle Vision - http://onlinebullstud.com/
As I tell everyone - EPD's are just a tool, you have to visually appraise the bull for CE (head shape, shoulders, etc). And accuracies make a big difference.
But, a +4 CE (?) and a +2.5 BW (?) - very hard to say cut & dry. You will find the modern Simmental bulls calve as easily as the Angus bulls.
Research shows they calve within 2% of Angus on cows and better than Herefords.
+10 CE is recommended to use on heifers of any breeds.

So is your Macho As U bull calving-ease? I saw he was like 11.6 for calving ease, and also noticed he had a pretty decent epd for milk.

I know what you mean about using epd's as a tool, but there not many good Simmentals around here for me to go look at, so I sort of need to depend on the numbers and advice from breeders.

Thanks for your help so far on this.

Macho is definately a heifer calving bull. Recommended to use on heifers of all breeds.
The ASA is supposed to be using him on a herd of Angus heifers for a carcass evaluation program, which will include CE, carcass & feed efficiency.
Aussie - there are still some FULLBLOOD breeders and there are still a lot of all red breeders, and many with both. I have both, reds & blacks. Bottom line, you get more for the steers if they are black - and steers represent a good portion of our market.

Australian Cattleman, for some reason buyers also dock our cattle for having spots in the United States. In Texas at least, I've run into a bunch of commercial guys who say they would never use a spotted Simmental bull but would have no problem with a solid black or red bull that won't put spots on the calves.

Man, I miss the days of my youth when a young kid was still able to tell the difference between a Simmental, Maine-Anjou, Limousin, Chianina, and Angus bull at a show.

Jeanne, do you the closest place to Washington where I could get some Macho As U semen? I know Universal Semen Sales in Montana has it, and I heading back home(Great Falls, MT) next week, but didn't want to have to drag a tank with me. If you have any other ideas please let me know.

Also, do you have some offspring of him you could show me?

ENNOT":1176iwuc said:
Jeanne, do you the closest place to Washington where I could get some Macho As U semen? I know Universal Semen Sales in Montana has it, and I heading back home(Great Falls, MT) next week, but didn't want to have to drag a tank with me. If you have any other ideas please let me know.

Also, do you have some offspring of him you could show me?

Any of the studs that carry him can ship the semen in a dry shipper.

dun

As Dun said, they can ship it directly to you. I can ship it out myself (well, the stud that collects him can). Just let me know.
Cattle Vision & Genetic Horizon SEK handles his semen, other than ourselves.
I have several pics of offspring on my web page
I will PM you.

Yeah I realize how studs work, I am a sales rep for Accelerated Genetics, I just thought if there was a place close, I could pick it up on my travels. I will probably pick it up in Montana sometime when I am over there.

Thanks Jeanne

Latest posts