SimHereford yearling bull.

Help Support CattleToday:

Like his length , can't tell if he is wasty up front or just fat .
He's not fat, been running with 2 older bulls just on pasture and a little feed a few times a week, which the older bulls push him out eventually. He does have some natural thickness and his hair is curly. He's probably not as clean made in the front end as a lot of people like.

This is one you raised, KY? I think he looks pretty damned good myself. I wouldn't worry too much about his rear end. It may even look better in person that in these pics...but doesn't look all that bad in them. Certainly nothing to steer or cull over. Bred to your heterazygous black cows, you will get 75% black and 25% red. Bred to your red cows the calves will be 50/50. You raise your own replacement heifers as well, right? I think he will work well with your 3/4 Angus 1/4 Hereford bull. Breed him to that bull's heifers and vice versa. You gonna end up with a nice mostly bwf herd. made up of cows you raised and bulls you raised...and that is worth a lot...knowing the lineage both sides for 2 or more generations. And adding that Simm blood ought to give you a little more of that " High bread vinegar" over traditional Ang/Her black baldies. You may be too far north for a little ear to boost the prices some, but down here, I would get a Braford cow and a Brangus cow and try him on them one time. :)

This is one you raised, KY? I think he looks pretty damned good myself. I wouldn't worry too much about his rear end. It may even look better in person that in these pics...but doesn't look all that bad in them. Certainly nothing to steer or cull over. Bred to your heterazygous black cows, you will get 75% black and 25% red. Bred to your red cows the calves will be 50/50. You raise your own replacement heifers as well, right? I think he will work well with your 3/4 Angus 1/4 Hereford bull. Breed him to that bull's heifers and vice versa. You gonna end up with a nice mostly bwf herd. made up of cows you raised and bulls you raised...and that is worth a lot...knowing the lineage both sides for 2 or more generations. And adding that Simm blood ought to give you a little more of that " High bread vinegar" over traditional Ang/Her black baldies. You may be too far north for a little ear to boost the prices some, but down here, I would get a Braford cow and a Brangus cow and try him on them one time. :)

To far north for ear I would think

Yes, he's a home raised bull. That's our plan, we have been using 2 half brothers, one being the 3/4 bull and the other an Angus. Retaining several of their daughters and the young Simx bull is an outcross to most of the herd so that will get some distance away from going to far with using the other two back and forth very far. It's kind of like making our own kind of cattle but keeping them crossed in variations of Hereford and Angus, with a bit of something else at times. I would like to put some ear into the herd, but not many of them around here as they get docked. The few braford type cows I've had I've really liked.

Yes, he's a home raised bull. That's our plan, we have been using 2 half brothers, one being the 3/4 bull and the other an Angus. Retaining several of their daughters and the young Simx bull is an outcross to most of the herd so that will get some distance away from going to far with using the other two back and forth very far. It's kind of like making our own kind of cattle but keeping them crossed in variations of Hereford and Angus, with a bit of something else at times. I would like to put some ear into the herd, but not many of them around here as they get docked. The few braford type cows I've had I've really liked.
Usually, a Brangus cross doesn't have that much leather and ear. These would only be 3/16ths Brahman. Have you ever seen Ultrablacks? The dude I sold my Brahma x Chi-Angus heifer to, crosses Black Simms with Chi-Angus and breeds them to Brangus for a 3/16ths Brah calf...not much ear at all...and makes some real scale smashers. He also crosses Brah x Chi-angus with Black Simm, and crosses Brahma x Black Simm with Chi-angus. These cattle are 1/4 Brahma and don't have as much ear as a Brangus. I bet if you did get a Brangus ( or Braford) cow to breed with that bull it wouldn;t have all that much ear. Nor would a Brangus bull put much ear on the cows you have now. But, right now if you stayed focused on this program you have now, I wouldn't blame you at all. Was that bull the only calf you got from the reg Hereford cow and reg Black Simm bull? Just wondering if you had done it again and got a heifer? If so, what kind of cow did she end up being?

Usually, a Brangus cross doesn't have that much leather and ear. These would only be 3/16ths Brahman. Have you ever seen Ultrablacks? The dude I sold my Brahma x Chi-Angus heifer to, crosses Black Simms with Chi-Angus and breeds them to Brangus for a 3/16ths Brah calf...not much ear at all...and makes some real scale smashers. He also crosses Brah x Chi-angus with Black Simm, and crosses Brahma x Black Simm with Chi-angus. These cattle are 1/4 Brahma and don't have as much ear as a Brangus. I bet if you did get a Brangus ( or Braford) cow to breed with that bull it wouldn;t have all that much ear. Nor would a Brangus bull put much ear on the cows you have now. But, right now if you stayed focused on this program you have now, I wouldn't blame you at all. Was that bull the only calf you got from the reg Hereford cow and reg Black Simm bull? Just wondering if you had done it again and got a heifer? If so, what kind of cow did she end up being?
Only had 4 calves total by that Simmental bull, he got hurt after only being out with cows around a month. Wouldn't have kept him too long anyways as he was way more aggressive than we needed. Got two heifers by Angus cows, and another bull calf by a commercial Simmental cow. It was a solid black calf and my original pick to bleep for a bull, but even at a young age he was getting his sires attitude.
This Hereford Simmental cross bull is easygoing and laid back, hoping his calves will be too.

Only had 4 calves total by that Simmental bull, he got hurt after only being out with cows around a month. Wouldn't have kept him too long anyways as he was way more aggressive than we needed. Got two heifers by Angus cows, and another bull calf by a commercial Simmental cow. It was a solid black calf and my original pick to bleep for a bull, but even at a young age he was getting his sires attitude.
This Hereford Simmental cross bull is easygoing and laid back, hoping his calves will be too.
There ya go....another check mark in the "pro" column for that Herf/Simm bull. He got that disposition from his Hereford momma, no doubt. How is the disposition on the 2 Angus heifers?

There ya go....another check mark in the "pro" column for that Herf/Simm bull. He got that disposition from his Hereford momma, no doubt. How is the disposition on the 2 Angus heifers?
They are ok, but they are a bit skittish at times with something out of the ordinary. Had strange things going on around the farm (trespassers/transients) where I had them after weaning and at one point they were crazy acting. They finally simmered down enough to get them in the barn to load out. They seem alright now.