Silverado Drivablility ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I have an 5.3L 02 that bogs down under hard acceleration when it is cold. Works fine after it has warmed up. No engine light is on. Plugs and fuel filter were just replaced. Where to look next?

TennesseeTuxedo":jjou3m1l said:
Behind the wheel, let it warm up. :D

:nod: I don't know many motors that like hard acceleration when they are cold.

I would still take it to be scanned. I have seen truck that showed codes but the light wasn't on.

I have seen low fuel pressure from a pump going bad do funny stuff but not throw codes. Also cats coming apart and blocking the exhaust can also do funny stuff and not throw codes. MAP sensors, Throttle positions sensor, EGR valve... are all pretty common things that go out on this trucks. Not all of them throw codes when they act up and if the do it unusually points to the simptom, not the problem.

This is a gas motor correct? I would change the fuel filter right off the bat just to mark it off the list.

Not sure about it only doing it when its cold.

flaky 02 sensor(s) or temp sensor that the emissions uses would be my 1st guess. Most engines still use the 02 to 'decide' which loop it's running in.

greybeard":177vyi7o said:
flaky 02 sensor(s) or temp sensor that the emissions uses would be my 1st guess. Most engines still use the 02 to 'decide' which loop it's running in.
fuel rail need service/cleaning? Helped my 2004 toyota when it got sluggish.

Only code was a couple misfires on three different cylinders. So did the plugs, and the fuel filter, just in case.
Fuel pressure is OK.
I assume a plugged up cat would not just be a problem when the engine is cold?
Not sure where to start with sensors. Cleaning the Mass Airflow Sensor seems very popular? Any others to start?

Supa Dexta":3qm60gg4 said:
Throw a can of seafoam in it and give it a good hard drive.

Have you used the seafoam spray? I gained 1 mpg after using it. Got to smoke out my neighbor too. That was worth it alone.

MAF issues are somewhat common. Especially if it has a K&N or a neglected air filter.

Intake gaskets are also an issue on that year and can cause misfires. Are you loosing coolant?

Craig Miller":20bwbww0 said:
Supa Dexta":20bwbww0 said:

Have you used the seafoam spray? I gained 1 mpg after using it. Got to smoke out my neighbor too. That was worth it alone.
Just 1?
A 'Type R' emblem, a "No Fear" sticker, and a big ol wing on the back will get ya 5hp and @ least 3mpg. Add a fartcan muffler and we're talkin serious gains then.
:lol:

greybeard":3b1j8408 said:
Craig Miller":3b1j8408 said:
Supa Dexta":3b1j8408 said:

Just 1?
A 'Type R' emblem, a "No Fear" sticker, and a big ol wing on the back will get ya 5hp and @ least 3mpg. Add a fartcan muffler and we're talkin serious gains then.
:lol:

Lol. I was surprised I got any gain from it. I didnt expect to because i never have from any other products. I bought it after watching this video..
[youtube]https://youtu.be/u6UeJXkzDW8[/youtube]

Atimm693":36nqgh4v said:
MAF issues are somewhat common. Especially if it has a K&N or a neglected air filter.

Intake gaskets are also an issue on that year and can cause misfires. Are you loosing coolant?

Cleaned the mass airflow sensor. Hope that does it.

BigBear":1j0ru3kh said:
Supa Dexta":1j0ru3kh said:

X2. Stuff actually works

X3. I learned of it on the iboats boating forum. For carbon clogged engines members developed a process known as "decarb". You can just go to a Google search engine and put in the word and get the dissertation. The video that's in one of the replies to this post looks like the startup of the engine after receiving the treatment and starting the clean up process......smoke out your neighbors.

2 stroke Loop Charged engines use only 2 rings per piston and are wedge shaped. The process is such that upon entering the compression part of the stroke, cylinder pressures cause the rings to expand into the cylinder walls for maximum compression. When rings are carboned up, and carbon is part of the chemistry of "dino" fuels so it's always available for deposits, the rings can't seat properly and performance is lost.

I'v been a firm believer in the stuff since about 2005. I have run restoration projects with it on older engines, 2 and 4 stroker small engines on equipment around the farm just to have something to do and it has proven itself time and time again. On my boat it was in my fuel constantly. When my engine was 12 years old (90 hp Merc. looper), I decided to do the carb kits and found zero fuel related deposits in the bowls using 87 octane <10% ethanol at 50:1 or less mix (VRO internal oiler). I did find a few tiny pieces of fuel line and as a result redid the rubber in and into the engine.....but 12 years and ethanol.........

I have the 2011 Silverado with the 4.8 or 9 V8, forget which, and I toss a can of it in every once in awhile, for upper cylinder lube and injector hygiene. Tractors get Power Services diesel treatment so I don't use it in them.

Latest posts