Signs

Help Support CattleToday:

G&L Cattle

Reaction score
Ive noticed that procedures such as de-horning or castrating are less traumatic sometimes than others. My Dad calls it "the signs". Can I determine from an almanac or the moon when is the best time? Thanks for all of your great input!

G&L

One of our local vets believes in doing things that could be stressful(weaning, castrating) to an animal by the sign. When the sign is in the lower part of the body is suppose to be the best.

the "signs" we usually use are.....is the weather good, do we have enough help, can we get them in the pen, etc. :lol:

to seriously answer your question, lots of oldtimers believe(d) in the signs. my grandpa used to always check the almanac before castrating calves (& still checks it when stuffing tomcats in boots :D ). we have noticed that there are certain times when the calves will bleed a lot (even from implants or tags) & then other times nothing at all, so there's probably some truth in it. i've never used it so i have no idea what to tell you to look for but i'm sure someone else on here can help with that part.

There are other "signs' but our rule of thumb is to not do anything that will cause bleeding on a full or waxing moon. The closer to the dark of the moon the better. It does seem to cut own on the bleeding.

dun

I watch the Debowelled man of the Zodaic in the almanac. Never casturate or dehorn when the signs land on a major organ on him. Such as the chest, neck, head or thighs. If you do, plan on lots of blood and slow healing.
I also try not to breed or wean on those days either. Cows will not settle and calves will bawl forever if done on the wrong side of the moon.

My other half thought I was crazy. So I proved it to him last year. Weaned 25 calves when it was convenient for him. Weaned the other 25 or so on based on the Zoadiac man. First group (same ages as the 2nd group, all managed the same) bawled for 9 days. Second group bawled for 3. Cows from the 2nd group dried up faster too.

I will not ever casturate or dehorn when the sign is wrong.
Little too much of Grandpa in me I guess. :roll:

certherfbeef":8tt6h2d6 said:
I also try not to breed or wean on those days either. Cows will not settle

How do you convince the cows to be in heat at the "correct" time?

dun

Ok, I have heard oldtimers talking about the farmers almanac, but I have never seen one. I am not questioning what you have all said but I just don't understand how the moon could have any affect as to how much a calf will bleed form certain procedures???? I do understand if it is hot, or if the calf is worked up and stressed they will bleed more. I try to always casterate in the early morning when it is cool and they have not been running around yet and I have never had a severe bleeder. I knife cut and I have never lost a calf or had an infection from it (Knock on wood!)

Where would an inquiring individual find one of those Farmers Almanacs?

It's on line someplace, any bookstore, etc. They're an annual deal. New one each year

A few years ago the hospital in the desert did away with elective surgery around the week preceding the full moon and claimed it cut down on blood requirements.
I don;t know how it works either, but there are a lot of things that us mear mortals will probably never understand.

dun

a lot of folks used to plant by the signs too. i never paid much heed to them but have known some good cowmen that did

sidney411":23r8cn43 said:
Where would an inquiring individual find one of those Farmers Almanacs?

our home insurance company sends us one every year. some banks pass them out too.

Wal Mart carries the Farmer's Almanac. Someone told me there were 2 versions, though--anybody know? We weaned a colt by the moon this year seemed like it was the knee of the moon--it was November 1--anyone with an almanac care to take a peek?

You know, we've become so independant and fast-paced that we have probably lost touch with some of our natural instincts/abilities. For convenience, we do things in a time that suits us, whether the "optimum time" or not. I wonder if so many of the challenges we face aren't the outcome of our impatience?

Hate to quote T.V. for wisdom, but heard that "struggle is nature's way of stregnthening" it sounds right, but if we continue to advance and remove/minimize our struggles are we really making progress at all?

While you guys are talking about signs, have you ever noticed that on certain moon phases you can dig a post hole and won't have enough dirt to fill the hole back up. And that's with the post in the hole too. I don't know what phase of the moon it is. When I was a kid, I use to think my dad was yanking my chain about that, but it is true. Try it and see.

Brad

Brad B":3cww3jun said:
While you guys are talking about signs, have you ever noticed that on certain moon phases you can dig a post hole and won't have enough dirt to fill the hole back up. And that's with the post in the hole too. I don't know what phase of the moon it is. When I was a kid, I use to think my dad was yanking my chain about that, but it is true. Try it and see.

Brad

Yeah I got to agree with on this Brad, it just kinda disappears.

sidney411":3uq91ky0 said:
Brad, how on earth could that be possible unless some of the dirt got hauled away somehow???? Are you yanking our chains?

You either haven't dug many post holes, or have always done it under the right sign!

IMPORTANT!!! When you figure what the right sign is to do digging under--I really need to know!!! Thanks ;-)

there are signs for a lot of things... even the post hole thing referenced earlier. sounds crazy, but there is.

you can also buy almanacs in a book stores, etc.. some hardware and feed stores give a small version of them away every year.

here is a link you might try..

http://www.almanac.com/astrology/index.php

jt

brokenmouth":y9tnm613 said:
a lot of folks used to plant by the signs too. i never paid much heed to them but have known some good cowmen that did

I had a friend that always liked to have a family garden,he was accustomed to his family always having one when he was growing up,so when he went out on his own he thought it was the natural thing to do.He found though that he did not have much time to spend putting in a garden because of the demands of working for a living. He generally put it in when he had the time. I remember one year he wqas planting some purple hull peas.His grandfather said "Jimmy, you are planting them at the wrong time and you won't make anything". He thought the old man was crazy and planted them anyway. I can tell you that for what ever reason, he had the prettiest vines you ever saw,but did not make one single pea. Go figure. :) :cboy:

We have a cow that was born here on our place, "Daisy". Great cow and has raised three great calves. She holds up fine until we take her calf away. Oh, my its terrible how she mourns for months. Quits eating, chaces my truck, especially when im pulling a trailer, loses lots of weight. Then finally she'll get over it (Praise God!). Her calves wean much easier than she does. I must check the signs next time! Any other suggestions?

Thank you much!

G&L

My grand dad always talked of not having enough dirt to fill a post hole with the post in the hole . As I grew older and buried my share of post , I found it to be very true. It just goes away seems like . we always castrated pigs and calves by the moon too .

I swear it's almost impossible to get a whole to fill up even after putting a huge post in it. A lot of the time I put a rock or something as a filler...

Latest posts