Side by Side

Help Support CattleToday:

M.Magis":1zn14e0g said:
cowgirl8":1zn14e0g said:
If you have a lot of mud, get a JD.. We have 2 Gators and we drive the be nice out of them. The diesel engines seems more dependable than gas. The gas engines are nothing but trouble. Over the years we've had all but the Kabota, but we have a kabota tractor and its not near the tractor as our DJs are. Dont get a ranger, they are nothing but trouble...
I always wonder why people speak in absolutes, particularly about something they're not familiar with. I've driven the pizz out of my Ranger for the last 3.5 years and it hasn't given me a bit of trouble yet. I know plenty of other people that have had the same luck. There are lemons in every brand, but I'd venture a guess you've never actually owned one.
And just to be clear, I'm not suggesting the Ranger is the best choice for everyone. But to suggest any brand is "nothing but trouble" is arrogant and foolish.

We've owned them all. Dont have pictures on my computer, but do on photobucket, but it keeps freezing up. But did get to this polaris.. After we got tired of it always being broken, we got a ranger....it spent more time in the shop. Not sure when we got the JDs, but when i say we use them, we use them. Been though all the brands of 4wheelers too....Honda takes the punishment...

The difference is what one person considers driving it hard and what the next does are completely different. I have plenty of friends that love their Rangers also.

I bought a used Ranger for the ranch I take care of from one of my friends, dad. They are true blue Ranger guys. They have like 6 Rangers on their lease. They swear up and down by them. It works for them, it will work for the application I bought it for on the ranch.

Hunted with some rice farmers the last 2 weeks. They burn a belt up on a Ranger once a year. They buy new machines every other year.

Two completely different uses with two different results.

I always tell people, if you can run stock tires on your atv/ utv or truck... what your using it for isn't that bad.

Well I've owned most of the different brands mentioned and the Polaris was the only POS so far. Electrical issues was it's main down fall when it was newer. And at 2k hours everything was pretty much wore out. We run a Kubota 1140 rtv and are fairly happy with it. The down fall of the Kubota is the engine noise, ride, getting bogged down, and lack of speed. But the cost of ownership is by far the lowest of any model rtv that we've ever owned. But when it comes to hunting and mud bogging I'll stick with my Samurai. A Samurai or an older little Toyota pickup is hard to beat. IMO

I agree with all of that. I just wanted to make the point that making general statements about any one brand is foolish. I've used certain brands that I thought were terrible, but I wouldn't say they're "nothing but trouble". They either didn't suit me, or were a poor example of their models. If any brand out there made nothing but junk, they wouldn't be in business.

I bought a Kubota RTV 500 about five years ago been pretty good so far. It is used strictly for feeding and running around on the farms. No hot rod by any means but has served me pretty well. I would really like for them to put a cruise control on it use when I am seeding with it so the only thing I had to do was drive. I have the electric herd seeder that I over seed clover with.

M.Magis":2x24wl6b said:
I agree with all of that. I just wanted to make the point that making general statements about any one brand is foolish. I've used certain brands that I thought were terrible, but I wouldn't say they're "nothing but trouble". They either didn't suit me, or were a poor example of their models. If any brand out there made nothing but junk, they wouldn't be in business.

You can make general statements about certain brands.

Polaris is the peak of off road ability but is some what "disposable" compared to it her brands. Polaris has keyed in on that market and has done a great job at it.

Kubota builds a rock solid machine, that I agree has few to no issues. It lacks in off road capability. They to have done a great job cornering the market that does not require that.

Each brand builds to a certain market. Although they simular and can do a lot of the same things, each brand has its strengths and weaknesses.

Sorry, I said general statements, but that was not the word I meant to use. I meant absolute statements, such as "xxxx is the best" or "xxxx always break".

M.Magis":14ov5kyq said:
Sorry, I said general statements, but that was not the word I meant to use. I meant absolute statements, such as "xxxx is the best" or "xxxx always break".

This is a very true statement, and can even apply to women.

Ya, saying one will always break down is not fair but you can definitely tell which ones have a higher cost to maintain.

Guy that works for us runs a fleet of over 100 mechanic trucks. All 1 ton, dually, 4wd, diesel truck with service beds. 10 or 15 years ago he noticed his vehicle expenses were getting pretty high. He always allowed his mechanics, once they had been there a few years, to pick what kind of truck... Ford, Chevy, Dodge. His accountant started breaking down the cost per vehicle. Across the board the Dodge cost him the most to operate per mile, per vehicle. It was followed by Ford, then by Chevy/ GMC. The Dodge was so costly it paid for him to get rid of them immediately. The Fords were not as bad and they chose to phase them out over time. He says every so often a commercial sales guy will hit him up to buy a couple new Ford or Dodges when they change styles. He will buy 3 or 4 each to run and try. He says Ford has stayed fairly consistent and Dodge has made good progress but their cost to operate, for him, are still higher than GM. He also said it is very true about lemons. He finds one or two every so often. If its cost to operate is out of "the range" he sells it almost immediately.

Brute 23":2ub6f6v8 said:
coalcreekfarms10":2ub6f6v8 said:
If you don't mind me asking why would you say Kubota would be tied for last? I went on a ride this weekend with a Polaris 900 and a Kubota 500. I was able to see both of them in action and even drove the Kubota for a little bit. I really liked the Kubota but man it doesn't have much get up and go speed. It was taken is some pretty rough places and never missed a beat when it was in low range. I even watched the Polaris and Kubota go up the same hill and the Polaris spun the back tires twice and the Kubota never spun the first tire.

Don't mind at all, I'm and expert on my opinion. :)

The Polaris spinning the wheels doesn't mean any thing. Trying to feather that Polaris 900 throttle had more to do with it more than capability.

If that Kubota was staying with the Ranger the stuff yall were driving was not that bad. The Polaris Ranger is one of the, if not the, most capable off road sxs on the market. If you are doing mud bogs, riding the dunes, rock crawling... the Ranger is in your top 2 or 3 bikes. The only thing I knock Polaris for is longevity. If you own one and run it hard day in and day out you will put it in the shop more than any other bike to replace wore out parts. For the cost of those things, they are in the shop too much IMO.

There are 2 kinds of Kubota sxs. The RTV and the RTV-X. I have not been around the X enough to say what it can or can't do but I doubt its that much different. The regular RTV will not do what I need out of a sxs. I buy a sxs to go where my pick up can't. That is partially due to size and partially do to terrain. When we hunt we always end up in the worse spot on the ranch. Its the boggiest, thickest, bottom area, that you can imagine. Several guys have tried to run the Kubotas and they are constantly having to be pulled. The bog down too easy and their drive train is week. You can bind them up where they won't spin the tires. Nothing is worse than trying to get to dogs and you have some one getting stuck constantly.

The most extreme case I have see is we were hunting some country that is basically level with the bay. When the tide is high enough it goes under water... very soft stuff. I'm in a Mule with one guy and another guy is following in his Kubota. All the sudden we look back, they aren't there. I back down the road until I see them. They are stuck. Luckily he doesn't spin it down too far. We hook up to it with the mule and Im locked in and in Low. I do not want to break the tires over or I'm going down with him. The guy that was riding with him jumps in my bed to help with traction. The guy jumps in and gives the Kubota a little gas. We will it probably 5' and still can't get it on top. Tell him to get out and just reach in with his foot and give it gas. Go another 5-10'. Still can't get it on top. Finally the guy gets a stick and just walks beside it giving it a little gas. I have to pull it 20 or 30' like that before it finally jumps on top. I never spun or broke thru with the mule. This happens all the time to this guy. He is trying to sell that Kubota right now because with all the rain we have been having he hasn't even been able to take it most of the time.

That is not a big deal to some people. If your cruising your home place. Got decent roads, maybe see a little slick mud here and there in the pens or what ever it will be fine. If there is a bottom to it you will be ok and will like the machine.

We have some soft stuff between the sand pastures and bottoms. These past two years I have leaned heavily on the Mules to check cattle, water gaps, fill feeders, ect. A lot of the pastures were not accessible to trucks and you even had to be carful in the sxs. For a fact, the Kubota would not have gotten me where I needed to go these past 2 years.

They are not bad machines, just definitely designed for a certain application (which is actually plants, refineries, construction sites, ect). IMO the Mule, Gator, and Ranger are better all around machines... that will do any thing the Kubota will... and a lot more... for the same cost... or less. One other plus for Kubota is they will lend money to a tree stump... but a lot of people don't talk about that. ;-)

Mule_zpsewvm1iim.jpg

Alb-Hogs_zpswjoeoqmt.jpg

Mule2.jpg

You're correct in saying the area we were riding in wasn't terrible. Part of it was on an old strip mine but it also had some pretty rough spots on it. I know that a lot of people like the Polaris side by sides but just as many people don't like them also. Some people I have talked to talk about not liking how it is belt driven and that gives them problems.

As always thanks for your input and advice. What size of mules do you own?

All the SXS are belt driven but each brand has their own clutch set up.

I'm not a fan of the stall on Polaris Rangers either. As they age the stall gets worse. It revs up a noticeable amount before the machine moves. Can be kind of a PIA when you want to move just a little bit like backing up to a trailer or spot spraying brush.

3010s and one Mule Pro. The 2010 and 4010 are almost identical to the 3010. They also have a 610.

Brute 23":a8yr7hy4 said:

I'm not a fan of the stall on Polaris Rangers either. As they age the stall gets worse. It revs up a noticeable amount before the machine moves. Can be kind of a PIA when you want to move just a little bit like backing up to a trailer or spot spraying brush.

This is one of my major complaints with the Ranger as well. Between that and the hitch being back under the bed, I don't bother hooking anything up to it unless I have to.

M.Magis":1hlsqsof said:
Brute 23":1hlsqsof said:

This is one of my major complaints with the Ranger as well. Between that and the hitch being back under the bed, I don't bother hooking anything up to it unless I have to.

If your stall is getting worse change your tranny fluid. On the hitch buy you 2 standard receiver hitches and cut the drop off of one then weld them together. You can get them at TS for 15 bucks with 1 7/8 ball on them you can buy a hitch the extra long but its expensive. the hitch used on the UTV is not under severe stress so it being welded will be ok . I would not use it on a pickup tho.

Ill give that a shot on the Ranger at the Ranch. It does it pretty bad. The fluids get changed by the dealer, by the book... but we will see.

You can actually put stall in a clutch by adjusting the weight on the primary. They do it on purpose with mud buggies or sand rails so the motor is at a higher rpm be for it takes off. On a car it's a stall conerter.

Brute 23":3k2qd4y8 said:
Ill give that a shot on the Ranger at the Ranch. It does it pretty bad. The fluids get changed by the dealer, by the book... but we will see.

You can actually put stall in a clutch by adjusting the weight on the primary. They do it on purpose with mud buggies or sand rails so the motor is at a higher rpm be for it takes off. On a car it's a stall conerter.

I experienced it this week , Mine was starting to stall when taking off over the last week pretty bad and was aggravating me, It had another 15 hrs till it was due a trans fluid change , I do all my own fluids so I stopped by Kubota and picked up their UDT trans fluid changed it when I got home and night and day difference in the stall as well as the shifting. The fluid was not burnt and still looked good.

I think I am out of the loop on this but what exactly is the stalling that everybody is talking about? Like what causes it?