Sick Puppy/Help

Help Support CattleToday:

3waycross

Reaction score
One of my puppies has gone south on me. She seemed fine this morning when I fed them their emulisified puppy chow with a little milk replace in it.

She ran to the dish. ate a bunch and then immediately started throwing up. Afterward she was pretty wasted for a while. Anyway I isolated her from the other pups and after an hour or so I put Bella in with her and she nursed for at least 15 minutes. She seemed OK after that (no vomiting) so I put her back in the litter.

This afternoon they all nursed for a while and afterward I fed them again. She did the same thing only this time she was throwing up milk also.

Any ideas anyone.??????

Watch for Parvo-
But she might just be a pig and overdoing the food
Try small amounts of total mush(soak it in water an hour or so) and see if that makes a difference.

Certainly could be just too much too fast but could be an allergy to something in the food or milk replacer too.
Try giving the puppy food mixed with water only,
and then the milk replacer without the food mixed with it. See is she has a reaction to either or both.

It's not Parvo I had her tested for that today. She is at the vet tonight. She is real agressive and I think it might be glutton but after a day with no food she needed help.

FWIW the vet twisted my arm to try Science Diet puppy chow instead of Iams. I fed it to them straight today after transitioning to it for 2 days. He also advised me to start adding canned SD puppy chow to their mush.

What bothers me is it started so fast and hard. she was fine yesterday. She did not throw up her mothers milk until the other stuff hit her stomach. Weird

:( I hope she will be alright. Keep us updated please ,good luck .

We are still going through food things with our pup ,the smallest change in diet throws her right off .

Starting off when she was first introduced to solids, raises alarm bells to me. An abnormal blood vessel around the heart that restricts the diameter of the oesophagus, allows milk through initially but when they take solids, it starts to dam up. The other, megaoesophagus, they don't have the tone in the oesophagus to take down solids and it just dilates and fills up. With both they don't usually vomit from the stomach, rather they just open their mouth and it all comes up, they are at a risk of getting an inhalation pneumonia. With the latter, some will do well if fed standing on their hindlegs, the aid of gravity helps get it down, I have found small boluses of food the easiest for them to handle, one at a time. Some of these will improve with age, others not do good and succomb to pneumonia. The first condition needs surgery.
It certainly will do no harm in trying to feed it with the aid of as much gravity as possible, for example from a stool, and whats more, it costs nothing.
Ken

wbvs58":3vt3e3nb said:
Starting off when she was first introduced to solids, raises alarm bells to me. An abnormal blood vessel around the heart that restricts the diameter of the oesophagus, allows milk through initially but when they take solids, it starts to dam up. The other, megaoesophagus, they don't have the tone in the oesophagus to take down solids and it just dilates and fills up. With both they don't usually vomit from the stomach, rather they just open their mouth and it all comes up, they are at a risk of getting an inhalation pneumonia. With the latter, some will do well if fed standing on their hindlegs, the aid of gravity helps get it down, I have found small boluses of food the easiest for them to handle, one at a time. Some of these will improve with age, others not do good and succomb to pneumonia. The first condition needs surgery.
It certainly will do no harm in trying to feed it with the aid of as much gravity as possible, for example from a stool, and whats more, it costs nothing.
Ken

Thanks Ken that's good info. However they needed to be on food now according to my vet. At 4 weeks their mother has had it. None of the other pups have any trouble at all and this one was fine for a solid week. The food is not solid but has the consistancy of mush. They all line up and eat it out of a trough OK.

Bella is also still feeding them 2 or 3 times a day and she does it mostly standing up. This puppy nursed twice yesterderday with no problem but threw up twice when she ate her feed. I have found that they don't hog the food as bad if I let them nurse then feed them a while later. They are cleaning up close to a quart of this mixture twice a day between the nine of them.

BTW this puppy was really heaving. When I picked he up it projected about 2 feet.

3waycross":3bspdn5p said:
wbvs58":3bspdn5p said:
Starting off when she was first introduced to solids, raises alarm bells to me. An abnormal . The first condition needs surgery.
Ken

BTW this puppy was really heaving. When I picked he up it projected about 2 feet.

______________________________________________________________________________________

If its projectile vomiting--------I am afraid that Ken might be right
Its not from gorging.

Just talked to the Vet they can't find anything wrong with her and when she ate by herself she didn't throw up?

What now?

Find out what, if anything, else they did differently than you have been. Different food, different consistancy, etc. Maybe with all the other pups she's a bit highstrung and gets too exited at meal time? Eating alone keeps her calmer? Still alot of variables for you to sort through.

3waycross":ecvsrxxy said:
Just talked to the Vet they can't find anything wrong with her and when she ate by herself she didn't throw up?

What now?
Gluttony, wolfs the food down to fast. Her puking after nursing is probably a residual from the too fast eating before that

wbvs58":q4kve1dg said:
3way, when feeding by herself, use gravity as well, have her standing on her back legs to eat from a platform. Best of luck with her.
Ken

Thanks Ken, I sure appreciate the help!

She is eating separately and eating the same thing as the other puppies. She just needs to be alone for a while. She cleaned up some of their food this morning and shook the whole time. She is just afraid of being run over I think.

CKC1586":wct0noja said:
Hope that pup is doing better.....

She's great she figured ut that I wouldn't let her starve and she has really settled down.