sick cow

Help Support CattleToday:

jtbakv

Reaction score
i have a new cow which is 6 yrs old and i just got her she has the scours and is skin and bone I have wormed, gave her a shot of LA 200 and gave her vitamin b and vitamin a and d is there anything else I can do for her to help her. I am feeding her a mixure of corn gluton and a comodity mix along with grass. She is getting around pretty good just looks like she was starved by her other owner.
she also has cough now and then.

You need to get a stronger antibiotic than LA200. It ain't worth much for anything remotely serious. Talk to your vet, they can give you something that should help.

I'd be having her tested for Johne's Disease first; If negative for Johne's, then a fecal exam for worm eggs, and deworming, if warranted.

Yes, she has all teeth and mouth looks good appears to be about 6.
I have already wormed her How much would a Johnes test cost do you need a vet to perform the test?
Thanks

jtbakv":21m7s6b5 said:
How much would a Johnes test cost do you need a vet to perform the test?
Thanks
If it is Johns I think any other cow around her can get it , someone correct me if I'm wrong, so my concern would not be how much the test cost - but how much it may cost me if I don't do the test.
Again someone tell me if this is not correct but I don't think there is a cure for Johns other than a bullet.???

If she does have johne's she can spred it to the unborn calves so they will always have the disease. I feel the best way to test is with a milk sample. They can test for BVD & Johne's at the same time if need be. I send all of my tests to Enfer Diagnostics. You can find them on the web.

I've had her isolated from the rest the first day i got her due to her health. She is a charolais cross and doesn't have milk or I wouldn't think she would. So what I see I would need a fecal sample or blood sample and request a Johnes test and BVD test and send to ENFER with info on what I need test for. Is this correct. and then treat depending on results.

Latest posts