Sick cow

Help Support CattleToday:

margtaho

Reaction score
I have a four year old long horn cow. She has calved twice. Yesterday when we went out to feed she was down. She slowly got up and then joined the herd. After a while she layed down again and wasn't eating. She normally is pretty wary of us and let us go up to her. We called the vet. While she was down I gave her food and kept the rest of the herd away from her. She ate well. Eventually she got up. We herded her into a pen , and she layed down again, it is now very difficult for her to get up. She doesn't have diarrhea, cough or runny nose. The vet came and took blood, stool and a tissue sample. The vet really doesn't know what is wrong with her and said it may take a week to get the lab back. As long as we give her water and feed directly she eats and drinks. We gave her 30 cc of A200 per the vet. She was more responsive today but still will not get up. Any ideas?

is she getting plenty of minerals?

i assume shes eating hay?

what kind of condition is she in?

been wormed lately?

could be any number of things as simple as mineral deficiency, or poisoning, etc etc.

Hope vet took samples to check 4 worms to rule out everything. Had one do that awhile back, ate good an everything until she started going down hill finally didnt get up..... it was worms that killed her

You didn't mention if she is in calf or nursing a calf.What kind of shape are her hooves in?

The other thing would be to get a cocktail in her asap.It does wonders on boosting the energy level of a sick or injured cow.
A bottle of dextrose IV should not harm her at all if anything it could be just what she needs.Once she is up you can then really inspect all her limbs and hooves to see if there is any injury.

Latest posts