sick cow

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
I got a cow, that went off feed yesterday, and is generally losing weight, plus milk production. Thought I'd give her Vit B, anyone else have any suggestions? Last month I had a different cow that I spent $85 on Vet fees, only to have her get worse, and have to be shipped. I'm thinking she may have leukemia, because she seems to have a lump under her jaw, and I know a few years ago, we had one like this, and that is what she had. Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Gail

we had the same problem. she wouldnt get up so we tubed her with her own milk. it really worked well, try it.

In relation to ur sick cow!
Obviously guyrob has no idea and no sick cows but he could be right.Dont give the cow her own milk infact give her goats milk it is much better. Higher in rotien! She will be better in a few years or so. :)

In relation to ranchking's comments, to milk a goat here we have to shoot it because they're too fast too catch

more information of the cow age,breed, and how long have you been noting the weight loss? short of more details i would post some pics on here especially of that lump and you'll get bites. good luck eotherway

GMN":2bmsgjck said:
I got a cow, that went off feed yesterday, and is generally losing weight, plus milk production. Thought I'd give her Vit B, anyone else have any suggestions? Last month I had a different cow that I spent $85 on Vet fees, only to have her get worse, and have to be shipped. I'm thinking she may have leukemia, because she seems to have a lump under her jaw, and I know a few years ago, we had one like this, and that is what she had. Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Gail

Gail, I'm unaware of a lump on the jaw indicating leukemia. Maybe, I just don't know. Hope some other folks will have something to help you. I wouldn't let my past experience with the vet stop me from talking with one. Even a vet can't save them all.

Dude it depends on the placement of the lump. If it is solid and attched to the jaw bone it is probably lumpy jaw look it up. it is an infection in the bone no cure poor blood supply so antibiotics don't work well.. If the lump is on the jaw but loose it is probably lump jaw and cause buy a foreigh object like a awn from grass sticking in the tissue and causing an infection lance and treat with antibiotics. for it to be leukemia the lump would be deep and actually a lymph node.
Your sick cow , It sounds like it could be one of many metabollic disorders.
If you could give more imfo it would help.

Gail, PM born2run -- I think she said she's seen cows with leukemia where she works.

It sounds to me like she may have liver fluke, i dont know if you get it in america, but in Australia we get it. it can be fixed with the right drench quite often such as Ivomec Plus, and Dectomax injectible, depending on how much damage the flukes have done to the liver already

It could be either liver fluke or hairworm or a combination of both. Treat the parasite infection with the appropriate drench or an injectable containing both ivermectin and klorsulon. Give Vit B12 and get something from vet to help repair liver damage.

Or better still take a fecal sample for analysis and you won't have to guess.

What I've seen is leukosis, not leukemia. It progresses fast, starting with the cow chewing nonstop on anything they can find. In the one case I seen I couldn't get the infected animal to leave the freestall; she was working on the pipes and was totally distracted. Eventually the lymph nodes under the jaw bust open and drain. There is no cure besides a bullet, and it is contagious.

if the lump is what i think it is its an absese. take a scapple and slit the bottom of the lump abou t3 inchs a little puss should come out the take ur hand ur a bottle and push on it hard and more stuff should come out. just repeat a couple times then let go. p.ps. take her to the vet to see if it is an absese if you dontt know what one looks like. they are very painful

theres 2 things i see might be wrong with the cow.lump jaw usually means the cow is wormy.but i dont think thats it.now a major drop in milk production an weight loss sounds like johns to me.id have that cow tested for johns as well as the whole herd.an cull any cows that test postive for johns.

This cow you are talking about-sounds like lumpy jaw. It occurs when they have a small puncture on the side jaw/under mouth area. Usually caused from a rough feed ration. If you are feeding a hay with some sticks or briars in it or a feed ration with gin trash it could be the problem. She has probably been having a problem with it that you did not notice. Lumpy jaw can cause swelling on the inside of the mouth as well as outside. Hence her not eating-its probably painfull. You usually will treat with antibiotics-and will eventually have to drain it when the infection comes to a head. And in response to the Johnnes- it is a small possibility but if you suspect her it usually it occurs in older animals when their immune system is stressed Ex. calving, or after a bought of pneumonia etc. They will never pick up the weight and get progressively worse. The best thing to do since their is not a 100% positive test for Johnnes is if the animal has persistent problems cull them from the herd b/c the bacteria is shed thru feces and will infect your calves. Good luck!! :)

I went to the Vet office yesterday for other medicine to treat mastitis, talked to the Vet there, he said it could be worms, sometimes in a bad case they will get a bottle jaw, so I gave her a shot of ivomec, and Vit B. Last night she ate like a pig, but now tonight again she seemed very blah. I fed her a different grain the other day and she seemed to chow that down, now tonite she got the normal cow grain, and she acted like she did not like it. One other thing I did not mention is that, before she got sick, she had a habit of sucking her tongue, now that she isn't feeling well, she no longer does that. If she isn't better soon, I will take her to the Vet. What is it, if they eat grain and no hay, a DA or eat hay no grain a DA possibility, I always get that confused.

She is 9 years old, and is a Holstein cross. Sure hope the Vet is right, and it is worms. I put the Eprinex pour on every year, so I have my doubts, but we will see.

Thanks for the responses.

Gail

Nine years old is actually considered old for a Johnes cow, but it could happen.

The bottle jaw is generally a sign of anemia, which could be from Johnes, or hardware, or probably many other diseases. I suspect you're going to need a vet visit to determine the cause.

They'll be completely off feed if they have a DA... because nothing can pass through. The condition you're think of where they'll eat some hay but no grain, is ketosis.

Keep in mind that there's a 30 or 35 day slaughter withdrawal on Ivomec.

Latest posts