Sick Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

barbette

Reaction score
This is a female, 6 year old black angus cow. Over a ten day period she has lost about 300+ pounds, but she is eating and drinking fine, using the restroom regularly - no diarreah. Her back legs seem to be "locking" and have progressively worsened. She can barely walk now - usually falls. At first she had a lot of nasal discharge (clear) and slobbering. After a shot of Teramiacyn (sp?) the slobbers and nasal discharge stopped. We have administered 2 shots of LA200 over the last 3 days. Legs are getting stiffer. Your suggestions will be very much appreciated as this is our 6 year old daughter's cow.

Take the cow to the vet! Or shoot instead of watching it completely disappearing and coming to an internet.
Heck there are people on here that don't own the first cow and will be posting on how to cure old Belle.

Find one thats, an excuse take to the State Ag College.
I feel for the animal I will either cure one or kill it in a heartbeat rather than watch one suffer.

wow! 300+ lbs in 10 days is pretty drastic. sounds like the cow needs more help than La200. dont know what to tell ya.

barbette":lu43io65 said:
This is a female, 6 year old black angus cow. Over a ten day period she has lost about 300+ pounds, but she is eating and drinking fine, using the restroom regularly - no diarreah. Her back legs seem to be "locking" and have progressively worsened. She can barely walk now - usually falls. At first she had a lot of nasal discharge (clear) and slobbering. After a shot of Teramiacyn (sp?) the slobbers and nasal discharge stopped. We have administered 2 shots of LA200 over the last 3 days. Legs are getting stiffer. Your suggestions will be very much appreciated as this is our 6 year old daughter's cow.

I would suggest finding a vet - NOW! If that is not possible, I would suggest shooting her rather than watching her suffer. I seriously doubt that LA200 is going to even touch this problem, much less cure it.

Shoot her, NOW. What puts us above the lower animals is the ability to and and the knowledge when to end something suffering.

dun

I'm in agreement with my fellow posters. 10 days and 300 pounds is far too long of a wait before seeking a vet. Another point, don't use antibiotics without knowing what you are treating, it just makes them useless to fight what they are designed to fight.
Whatever it is sounds serious. If you haven't already by the time I post this then find a vet this morning or put the cow out of her misery.

Sounds like black leg la 200 will not help sorry it is a virus that atacks the muscle and her back legs will lock up all together I am sorry but put her down. Ron.....

Double Deuce Ranch":qpivr8y0 said:
Sounds like black leg la 200 will not help sorry it is a virus that atacks the muscle and her back legs will lock up all together I am sorry but put her down. Ron.....
No, you're describing tetanus which is a bacteria--Clostridium tetani

Blackleg causes an animal to go down and die fairly quickly, with air bubbling under the skin. Clostridium chauvei, Clostridium novyi, Clostridium septicum.

And in my opinion, get a vet NOW (better last week than now...) or euthanize.

While I certainly agree with the others like dun... I can't help be curious what's wrong. :p Barbette, you didn't give enough information. What type of feed is/was the cow on, and what's her pregnancy status? calved recently? open? bred?

First three things to my mind (in no particular order) are hardware, ketosis, and botulism. But then all three of those will make a cow go off feed.

I have seen cows drop 200lbs in 48 hours due to ketosis, FWIW.

At the point the cow's at you're best off shooting her, IMO. Even though it might be something that would have been easy to fix at one point, she's gone so far that it wouldn't be common sense to invest the time and $$$ you'd spend getting her back to health.

Latest posts