Sick Calf/w skin condition

Help Support CattleToday:

Tiger

Reaction score
I have a five month old calf that was fine the first four months, but the last four weeks have been strange. The calf started to appear sick(did not follow the heard, eat as much, lays down alot). He would kick his stomach some and then started to have skin peal off. He skins very easy now and has no skin on his ears or back. His nostrals are red and inflamed. I have seen alot but never these symptoms or a problem that would cause them. If anyone knows of anything like this info would be appreciated.

The symptoms are 99% in my opinion related, that is why I cant figure it out, because it is a rare combination. Lice are not present and usually just cause hair loss not skin loss. He was vaccinated against IBR and has had an ivomc injection. Our vet moved and I dont know the new guy well enough to just call him up and ask. We typically do all of our own vet work, due to the fact that everytime we take a cow/calf to the vet the bill is more than the animal is worth. I know it sounds bad, but since I started doing this 5 years ago we have not lost any cows or calves.