Sick Calf Help!

Help Support CattleToday:

kiara0927

Reaction score
Well i went to this auction and bought a bottle calf hes a lil jersey bull i'm not sure of his age all i know is that some ppl said you can tell their age by there teeth after looking to see he has 8 teeth the last 2 are alil smaller then the rest but idk how old he is, Anyways i feed him his bottle and the next morning he had really bad diarrhea so i thought it must have been where his milk was switched so that night at 7 pm i took him his bottle again bc i was told to feed him 7am and 7 pm but he wouldn't take his bottle and his diarrhea was like water mixed with alil blood this was on Sunday ,so Monday morning he took his bottle and ate like he was starved to death, but Monday afternoon he wouldn't eat and still has very bad diarrhea so someone said to offer him water so i did and he drank a lot of water but he wouldn't drank his milk so i called the Vet and she said to come and pickup 2 shots to give to him i don't know what kind of shots these were but i know was was an antibiotic that went into his hip and the other idk what it was but she said to give it to him in his neck under the skin :???: so he laid around all day yesterday and this morning he acted like he was hungry but he only ate lil under a pint of milk so i called the vet again and she said to remove his water and wait a few hrs and try his bottle again so i did but he didn't drink very much at all maybe a half a pint :( so idk what to do im worried he is going to get weak and die bc he's not eating enough, so if anyone can help me pls let me know and ty so much for taken the time to read all of this..God Bless

Does he still have diarrhea? If so he may be dehydrated. Are you sure it is diarrhea and not scours? Scours are usually more yellowish colored. Over the years we have had many with diarrhea and scours. If it is a yellow color, a scour bolus often helps. Either way he is probably dehydrated, so I probably would not take away his access to liquids. If he gets really weak electrolytes may be needed. Good luck and hope this helps.

Make sure the milk replacer contains NO soy. He's probably dehydrated: pinch/pull up on the skin around his neck. If it "tents" he's dehydrated and needs electrolytes. A shot of Vitamin B Complex will give him some energy. Personally I would take the calf to the vet or at least a stool sample so they know exactly what they're dealing with.