Shrink

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
I read a while back that something like 50% of the shrink happens in the first 20 miles.
Doesn;t take that long. We ran a bull calf through the scale, 612 lbs, cut him and kicked him out. 20 minutes later I realized I hadn;t changed his tag so we ran him back through, 600 lbs.

dun":1ccc0l05 said:
I read a while back that something like 50% of the shrink happens in the first 20 miles.
Doesn;t take that long. We ran a bull calf through the scale, 612 lbs, cut him and kicked him out. 20 minutes later I realized I hadn;t changed his tag so we ran him back through, 600 lbs.

Which fella did you cut? Not Lance(or is it Rance) that is the replacement for Pauncho?

MistyMorning":rajwj9a4 said:
dun":rajwj9a4 said:

Which fella did you cut? Not Lance(or is it Rance) that is the replacement for Pauncho?
Cut a couple of them but he was the only one to go across the scale before and after

Its amazing how much the can loose in a short time. There is one barn here that has a lot of competition and normally fetches you a higher price but they deal in larger numbers than the other barns. I've learned if I'm going to sell any at the sale barn I'm better off to carry them to a smaller barn with less wait time even if I get less per pound.

At a couple sales in my area your cattle will gain weight from your place, they are so good at feed and water, that probably hurts the sale because buyers don't want a full animal but the extra pounds impress sellers.

I read somewhere that a cow pie weighs about 5 lb. They sometimes seem to get the squirts when under stress like that. Seems mine get in the corral and are like manure factories, especially coming in off of good pasture plus some treat grain. A couple cow pies and a pee and you get 10-12 lb I guess.

Jim