Shrink question?

Help Support CattleToday:

From the Noble Foundation:
Shrinkage resulting from sorting, loading, standing, and fasting cattle can range from 3% to 10%, but averages around 8% or 9%.
From CT article:
http://cattletoday.com/archive/2008/Sep ... 1737.shtml
Calves that are weaned and shipped at the same time always shrink more than those already weaned and accustomed to eating hay.

He went from 605 to 545, on second thought I wish I would have asked to have him reweighed. They had done run him off the scales by the time I got around to them from unloading. I said something to the guy grading and got a look with no comment, did not even ask how I weighed him. 10% seems pretty excessive for a calm calf. My scales seem to be accurate, they weigh me comparably to bathroom scales and if I put feed or mineral on it as a test it is always within a pound or two.

Lesson learned, if I take anymore that seem that far off on weight I am going to ask for them to be reweighed.

Even though he was quiet, You'll have more shrink by hauling him by himself. They like to be together,especially under stress.

"If he lost more than three percent somethings wrong."

Skeeter I don't know if you own a set of scales but I recently bought a set and it is a real eye opener how much their weight will vary from day to day and how much they do indeed shrink. I was expecting 3-5% and was surprised to see so many of them at a much higher rate. It turns out it is not that unusual.

It is also a real eye opener how quick they will quit gaining and actually start loosing when your grass starts going south in the fall.
I would suggest you weigh a few of your own before they leave the farm and then see what you get paid for before making a statement like you made or give us some a story where yours are only losing 3%. I would like to make a effort for my own benefit to copy your technique.

bird dog":193hfgf2 said:
"If he lost more than three percent somethings wrong."

Skeeter I don't know if you own a set of scales but I recently bought a set and it is a real eye opener how much their weight will vary from day to day and how much they do indeed shrink. I was expecting 3-5% and was surprised to see so many of them at a much higher rate. It turns out it is not that unusual.

It is also a real eye opener how quick they will quit gaining and actually start loosing when your grass starts going south in the fall.
I would suggest you weigh a few of your own before they leave the farm and then see what you get paid for before making a statement like you made or give us some a story where yours are only losing 3%. I would like to make a effort for my own benefit to copy your technique.
My folks ran a little 6000 hd feedlot in Nebraska years ago, later I worked for an outfit in northern MN and each year took in 1000 to1200 grass calves from 90+ miles away and average shrink was 2 to 2.5%. In mid sept those same yearlings went to Nebraska with about 6% shrink, if it hit 8% they were not happy and told us to check our scales. And that was after a nine hour bus ride.

Latest posts