Shredding Mesquite

Help Support CattleToday:

TheBullLady

Reaction score
If you had small (pencil size stems up to finger sized) mesquite that you had applied Remedy to approximately 2 weeks ago, and they were nearly dead, would you go ahead and shred them?

We've got so much rye grass heading out and nasty spear grass coming that I'm shredding the pastures this week.

No you will be defeating your purpose and wasting your money if you mow, the poison needs to work down into the root system which takes at least 6 months they say to leave over winter for the best kill , right now the tops are only defoliated
not dead

Ditto, the last two responses. If they're not rotten enough to kick over with your boot then they ain't dead yet. I usually wait a year and check for regrowth then hit the survivors again.

I used some on some huisache last summer and some of it came back this spring. I noticed that even after it came back some of it is still dieing off. So if it were me I would wait and see.

novatech":240umkbr said:
I used some on some huisache last summer and some of it came back this spring. I noticed that even after it came back some of it is still dieing off. So if it were me I would wait and see.

Yep.. I have seen that too. The first time we boom sprayed for weesatche it roasted them all. Then come spring time about 1/2 started to green out. :x

Then we got some rain 2wks later and it burned them again. They died after that. :D

novatech":1cyrfgnf said:

You need to spray Huisache in the Fall and it needs to be done with something besides Grazon P+D or the like. I don't know why that is but the suppliers around me make a big deal out of doing this operation in the Fall.

Earl Thigpen":14q1ozwx said:
You need to spray Huisache in the Fall and it needs to be done with something besides Grazon P+D or the like. I don't know why that is but the suppliers around me make a big deal out of doing this operation in the Fall.

I have already been spot spraying with Remedy and Diesel but we won't boom spray for another couple of months.

We also do a wead killer every where that has already been cleaned out to keep it clean. Did that last week.

Earl Thigpen":1qup4e5i said:
novatech":1qup4e5i said:

The Grazon P&D I used last fall killed about 95% of what I sprayed. I applied according to the "Brush Busters" pamphlet from Texas A&M. The only thing it did not kill is where I did not get coverage on all the folage. The plants I sprayed had been mowed every year for about the past ten years. I used Remedy on the larger plants. I have found that painting the cut stump method works best. I have also taken out larger bushes with a dozer and come back the following year and hit any remaining regrowth with Grazon P&D in the fall.
The reason it is done in the fall is so the plant will take the poison down to the roots as the sap goes down. We start about the middle of September until first frost. This only works on plants 5 foot and under.