Showing Pairs

Help Support CattleToday:

TheBullLady

Reaction score
For those of you that show open breed shows. Do you have a minumim calf age for showing a pair? I don't mean rules, I mean how old do you want the calf to be before you'll show as a cow calf pair?

My boys always show a pair. The only thing we worry about is the protectiveness of the mother. Sometimes they are a little too protective the 1st month or so.

In regard to the calf, we have never had one become ill on the show road. The earliest we have shown a pair is when the calf was one week old.

To keep a little calf safe from being stepped on, we carry a small dog pen to put is in. This way the calf doesn't have to stay tied and we don't have to worry it will be injuried by its mother of the the other cows.

The only problem we have had showing a pair is not being able to find an additional person to show the calf in the drive. The open show has so many classes that you can run out of people in a hurry if you carry several animals to the show.

I agree the "protectiveness" is an issue that determines who will be a good candidate for pair class. I would prefer the calf to be at least 3 months old, gives everyone a good start and time to work with them without rushing mom to share the baby.

Are you asking in regards to hauling the calf to shows, or competitiveness? We were dinged last year by showing against older calves. Our cow was clearly superior, which the judge also verbalized, but more weight was given to the difference in calves, which was primarily due to age. Our calf was a 3 month old heifer, versus a 5 month old bull.

A judge talking to our ag group told them that the cow is more important if the calf is less than 4 months. She would grade the cow on a 70/30 split. Around 4 months old, the calf comes into play. The cow should have produced a better animal than she is. She said if the cow has an awesome calf and she is structural correct and her bag is exceptional, then she should win the class.

Interesting.. thanks for the replies.

I was asking because I have a cow due to calf in February, and Houston is the first part of March. I think the calf is going to be too young to haul.. but my herd manager says no. I've seen young (under 1 month) old calves shown beside their dam, but personally think that's hard to judge, especially against an older calf. And also hard on a young calf, in my opinion.

TheBullLady":16tlw5a7 said:
Interesting.. thanks for the replies.

I was asking because I have a cow due to calf in February, and Houston is the first part of March. I think the calf is going to be too young to haul.. but my herd manager says no. I've seen young (under 1 month) old calves shown beside their dam, but personally think that's hard to judge, especially against an older calf. And also hard on a young calf, in my opinion.
I agree.

IMHO Showing pairs goes back to the whole pretty is as pretty does. Even if she's gorgeous cow that beat the pants off of everything as a heifer, what good is she if she can't raise a calf that is as good as or better than she is? Generally the younger a calf is, the harder it is to judge. JMO

Interesting thoughts from everyone.

I have shown calves right from a couple of days old to 8.5 months. I am most comfortable with a calf when it is 5+months. They are able to travel tied, they are smart enough to get out of the way when mum sits down and they do not get as knocked around at the show. Also, they make a far more impressive picture alongside their mums in the show ring.

That being said, I have show very young calves before (not my own - hence I had no choice in the matter, sort of) and the precautions I take (the provisions the owners must make) are:

1)The calf must travel untied behind an end panel tied in the truck with an extra bale of hay and a woolover calf cover. Alternatively, both calf and cow may travel loose provided they have an entire pen on the truck to themselves.

2)The owner must get made and send a calf cage - I usually suggest they get a third end panel made to match their existing ones, and a gate to fit between the two. The calf will then live in that, untied, at the show. This not only stops it being stood on, but also keeps it away from the hands of the public - they pat every calf in the shed and stick their fingers in every calf mouth and spread disease like wildfire.

3)The owner must send, along with their normal show box, a calf 'first aid' kit, which includes among other things various antibiotics and anti-inflammatories, needles, syringes, scour treatment, bloat treatment, electrolytes and probiotics.

IMO - If the cow you have in mind is an excellent exhibit - likely to have a good crack at winning champion - I would take her with the small calf, provided I had the precautions as above. If she is only a reasonable cow, I would leave her at home until the calf is older.

Good luck with it all.

I personally think that about 5 months is a good age for the calf to be shown as a pair. This gives the exhibitor the opporuntiy to proerply fit BOTH animals as it should be, not drag a newborn in the ring and/or stress either cow or calf out. Also, showing a older calf gives the judge a more realistic look at what the cow will actually put into the calf. Fall borns- shown in spring. Spring borns- shown in fall. *also helps to market the calf better...
this is just what I do

For me, the bigger the show, the older the calf; we like to take pairs and will take a young calf to county fairs, if they're just there for a day or two. Calves always attract attention and the beef superintendents appreciate that. However, a calf under 5 months always gets knocked down unless the competion is poor.
For my taste, I'd say 5 months is the minimum age for a larger show.

Keren":34fltnsb said:
2)The owner must get made and send a calf cage - I usually suggest they get a third end panel made to match their existing ones, and a gate to fit between the two. The calf will then live in that, untied, at the show. This not only stops it being stood on, but also keeps it away from the hands of the public - they pat every calf in the shed and stick their fingers in every calf mouth and spread disease like wildfire.

Some shows (at least most that I go to) dont allow calf cages. We always put up stall dividors on each side of the calf to protect it.

We show calves that are 3+months (that is, 3 months at county and local shows, 5 months at state show) They look better up next to the cow. They also act better (they are 'smarter') as they get older, so you can actually show them, instead of drag them around.

karlie45":17tthubw said:
Keren":17tthubw said:

Some shows (at least most that I go to) dont allow calf cages. We always put up stall dividors on each side of the calf to protect it.

We show calves that are 3+months (that is, 3 months at county and local shows, 5 months at state show) They look better up next to the cow. They also act better (they are 'smarter') as they get older, so you can actually show them, instead of drag them around.

Why wont they allow calf cages?? I basically do the same you do, with two stall dividers, except I just have an extra gate made to go across the front of them. Some people use dog pens or human baby play pens.

Re:

you can actually show them, instead of drag them around

I beg to disagree - the 4 week old I took to Melbourne show recently led like a champion, and you could lead him anywhere without the calf. It took a LOT of work though. Most young calves, as you say, dont lead. I can put up with one that wont lead, but will follow its mum. But I cant, wont, put up with a FLOPPER! :mad: Just frustrates me :lol:

Keren, i'm not sure why they don't allow calf pens...but it is stated in the youth show guidlines (including the 4-H rules ) that cage pens are not allowed. So we just dont bug them...(they get mad about PLENTY of other things)

We have had our share of floppers... :lol: they are something to try to show. We just prefer ours to be able to be led away from mom. We normally let a younger family member show the calf away from mom in a kids (or "cloverbud") class and sometimes the calf is taken by itself for showmanship.
Not tryin to disagree with you Keren, i'm sure you know what you're talkin about. But from my past experiences...3 months sticks as a bare minimum, and that works best for us.

I know and show with LinZ. I knew that she was friends/ partners?? with a lady in texas, and i knew that you had brahmans. I read your post and couldn't help but wonder, soooooooo i asked linZ if you posted under the bull lady. And here we are. I'm glad to meet you!!!! :lol: :lol: :D :D

Latest posts