Showing and Clothing

Help Support CattleToday:

ffamom

Reaction score
I've been watching the Houston Jr. Heifer Show. I can't believe what some girls wear. Since most of the judges are older guys, you would think they would dress more conservatively. I think some heifers lose a couple of places because of that. Just my opinion.

Ever notice what young people wear to a funeral. I think they may not care what the older generations opinion of their clothing is.

I agree FFA Mom! It's amazing how much it's changed over the years. I still think young women and men should wear a well pressed, collared shirt, tucked in with a belt. If I were a judge, I would bring it up.. I think kids are always "testing" what is acceptable. Until someone tells them it isn't, they are going to stretch the limits!

I am only 22 and i have shown cattle in NC since i was 4 and every girl in NC that i have shown with always wear button down collared shirts tucked in with a belt. My mother would have killed my sister and I if we would have wore anything but that.

All the glitter is not gold. I always use to wear clean boots, jeans, and a button up shirt tucked in. I think some of the girls don't care much for the cattle showing and are there to show them selfs....no offence to women...LOL

sim.-ang.king":2377x3eb said:
All the glitter is not gold. I always use to wear clean boots, jeans, and a button up shirt tucked in. I think some of the girls don't care much for the cattle showing and are there to show them selfs....no offence to women...LOL

I am always amazed to see how many kids show in filthy jeans and boots that haven't seen polish in years

KNERSIE":1dr6r5fa said:
sim.-ang.king":1dr6r5fa said:

I am always amazed to see how many kids show in filthy jeans and boots that haven't seen polish in years
Mom always had two pairs of boots at the shows for me. 1 pair for washing and everday wear, and a good pair for in the ring.
Now that i'm not showing and just take care of the animals, i'm a little more liberal about clean boots now...LOL

I honestly think that some just don't know. They see how the other kids dress and follow. The lack of looking professional has been going on for years. The jeans with all of the holes looks so tacky.

Have judged a couple of events through the years and always made sure to tell the kids to wear clothing that is appropriate, boots, and to leave the bling in the showbox.

Bling, rings, necklaces, lowcut shirts, sleeveless shirts, loud shirts, shorts, sandals, tennis shoes, flashy belts and hats belong at the stalls and not in the ring.

Be clean, wear clean,conservative clothes, a conservative show harness, proper and safe footwear and you'll gain an advantage in my ring.

When I was showing I wore starched jeans, a polo tucked in and whatever boots were comfortable at the time. Never had a problem placing any calves.

Whew...glad I had boys! Speaking of that, what is wrong with cowboy hats in the showring? This year there was a young man in the Houston Jr. Show who showed in a cowboy hat (he placed 2nd) so my son in turn wore his as well (he got 8th out of a large class-heifer didn't walk well)...the judge never commented one way or the other. When did hats become unacceptable...they were acceptable in the late 80s.

I don't think cowboy hats are unacceptable, just they don't like people wearing ball caps was the main thing they didin't want people wearing.

I was once told if the judge is wearing a hat you can also. If judge isn't, don't. Don't know if this is true or just someone was blowin smoke at me......

CKC1586":4iyd5i0d said:
I was once told if the judge is wearing a hat you can also. If judge isn't, don't. Don't know if this is true or just someone was blowin smoke at me......
That is the way I was also taught.

Clean, starched jeans, and longsleeve shirt. Belt. Cowboy boots (usually not clean, b/c how do you keep boots clean at cattle show?). I always figured I was there to SHOW so I would try to look as professional as possible at all times.

In inclement weather situations I never allowed myself to wear anything else ( jacket in the cold, short sleeve in heat). Also, no cowboy hat. I dont wear them anyways. However, I've discussed with multiple judges that dislike them in the ring, its harder to see the exhibitor's face and it is something else to get in the way.

Ryan

Yep, the level that some of these girls are taking it to is a bit too much for most of us. I personally see the issue with it but i could care less about other people and how they look in the ring. If their doing something that will hurt their chance to beating me then i'm all for them dressing however they want too. But really in the end it should be about the cattle, if someone moves up or down in the class because of the way they dress. If they do then the judge is at fault for letting it distract them and not staying on point with the cattle.

Ya have to figure who were talking about here also, cattle people are not exactly the cleanest people at shows. Although the way i know someone didn't do any of the work on their calf by just how clean they are. Usually its up to the fitters to do the work. Just what type of message are we sending to young people, we should send a message of good work ethics, rather then Saturday night at the club.

That wasn't the case at Houston...the judge didn't have a hat on and it was apparently acceptable for the showmen to have hats.

BC":30qkyvag said:
CKC1586":30qkyvag said:
That is the way I was also taught.

I don't think I have ever seen a kid "cut" because he had on a short sleeved shirt (hot) or jacket (cold)...the dislike of the hats because the judge can't see their face doesn't make sense because they are worn by open showmen all the time.

Ryan":g2e64m0c said:
Clean, starched jeans, and longsleeve shirt. Belt. Cowboy boots (usually not clean, b/c how do you keep boots clean at cattle show?). I always figured I was there to SHOW so I would try to look as professional as possible at all times.

In inclement weather situations I never allowed myself to wear anything else ( jacket in the cold, short sleeve in heat). Also, no cowboy hat. I dont wear them anyways. However, I've discussed with multiple judges that dislike them in the ring, its harder to see the exhibitor's face and it is something else to get in the way.

Ryan

farmwife said:
I don't think I have ever seen a kid "cut" because he had on a short sleeved shirt (hot) or jacket (cold)...the dislike of the hats because the judge can't see their face doesn't make sense because they are worn by open showmen all the time.

There is a big difference between a youth exhibitor class and an open or adult class. Very often there is a showmanship judge watching the junior exhibitors and he will chose those who will come back to compete for showmanship.

farmwife":suj68r9d said:
Ryan":suj68r9d said:

Ryan

Just because its done in the open shows doesn't mean the judges like it any more.

Ryan

Latest posts