Show Heifer hair problem.

Help Support CattleToday:

SuburbanMoo

Reaction score
Hi, new here, but I was sent here from a lady on a horse forum. We have a show heifer, american red brangus, that is having some hair problems. She caught mites somehow this winter, and lost a great deal of hair off her back end, under belly, neck and shoulder. She is now mite free, but the hair really isnt coming back. We have a show in a week, Houston, and then a breed show in the summer. So..does anyone have a way to help this? Supplements, goops, sprays, etc? Been using MTG and there has been some improvements, but nothing drastic.

Also any tips on how to make her look atleast alittle better for show so she doesnt look so...bald? Here are some pictures from three weeks ago that I took before and after her hair cut. Had to go alittle long on her face because of the bald patches.
Before
2012-02-09_14-19-32_701.jpg

2012-02-09_14-16-46_428.jpg

after trim.
2012-02-09_15-49-22_877.jpg

2012-02-09_15-49-11_838.jpg

2012-02-09_15-49-00_346.jpg

i sure dont know of anything thatll help you with her hair.all you can do is let the hair grow back on its own.an go ahead an show her.

dang. I was hoping there was some fix for it. I know the judges dont like a bald cow, and though we've never done great in our classes, its still nice to present a nice looking heifer. This is just one of things that was out of our control =(. Hopefully she will be all hairy again by the breed show.

So irritating. Really no one else has any suggestions? tips tricks or hints? is there a show cattle forum somewhere that Im missing? Sorry just super frustrated. Been through alot of issues with her, mainly skin and hair related that have required us to show her with patches missing...almost everytime. Would be nice to give a good presentation atleast once.

I use Kleen Sheen and Vinegor mixed at 50/50. Had a bull get lice and poured him then once hair started coming back been washing him and using that on him. Good luck!

Cant do a slick sheer, against breed rules. Hecka have to get used to this time delay for replies, but thank you for the welcome!

First off, welcome to Cattle Today. Unfortunately, you have run into a problem that only time will take care of (that is based on nearly 40 years of either showing or advising kids with show animals). If you have a cowman as a judge, they will look through the unfortunate parasite problem and evaluate your heifer on its conformation.

There is a show board on the Cattle Today. It isn't as active as this board.

I'd suggest a pour-on in the fall as the weather gets cool if she as lice as well. If you're organic, well, then you might have to do the more labour intensive method of shampooing her with a rotenone or pyrethrine spray/shampoo. I've found some shampoos for dogs and fly sprays for horses (Absorbine) that seemed to work pretty good to me

Welcome! You're using exactly what I would be using...M-T-G! What I might do is shave the rear, possibly 5-6 inches on both sides of her tail... Steerplanet.com has a pretty active show board. I prefer reading the one on Cattle Today, but Steer Planet is a little more active as far as posters go. (I hope that isn't out of line for me to talk about another site). You might want to double check the rules of the show before shaving her just to make sure they have no problem with a butt shave. :)

David

When you get to HLSR, go by Hamm's, Sullivan's or one of the other suppliers and ask for Shapley's touch up spray. They should have a color that will match. They may have a different brand.
Or if you have time, most Tractor Supplys carry it.

Double check the rules whether or not you can use it.

SuburbanMoo":1oeshq5l said:
So irritating. Really no one else has any suggestions? tips tricks or hints? is there a show cattle forum somewhere that Im missing? Sorry just super frustrated. Been through alot of issues with her, mainly skin and hair related that have required us to show her with patches missing...almost everytime. Would be nice to give a good presentation atleast once.

Wow. This isn't a chat board. Many folks check in when they get a free moment. If there were a way to get hair to miraculously grow quickly within days, it would probably be common knowledge and whoever figured it out would be a billionaire.

chippie":e23e8qqt said:
SuburbanMoo":e23e8qqt said:

Wow. This isn't a chat board. Many folks check in when they get a free moment. If there were a way to get hair to miraculously grow quickly within days, it would probably be common knowledge and whoever figured it out would be a billionaire.

my bad for being grumpy chippie. Didnt realize the time delays on the board, and yes I do realize its not like a chat board.

I appreciate everyone's welcomes and suggestions, going to look into all of them. Not asking for a "miracle" because Houston is close and nature doesnt work that way no matter how much you help out. Really concerned about if it will all be filled in by July, at its growth rate right now, it didnt seem like it. but going to keep trucking on...also though we are not newbies by any means now, its still nice to hear if anyone else has show tips, especially on this large of an area. The heifer is automatic in the ring, its just her coat and her build that drop us, and I cant do much about genetics, but ill be damn if I dont try and throw out the prettiest picture I can. lol. only slightly competitive by nature =P

It should come back by summer. Go to Walmart & pick up a jar of Royal Crown Hair dressing. The jar may be Red witha gold lid. You can find it in the Ethnic hair section. Rub it into the bald areas daily.
Also be careful with the M-T-G. Both myself & friends have had it blister an animal.
Good luck!

Edited to correct spelling. Stupid phone!

Yeah Ive seen it reacting badly on horses, but so far so good on the cow. but Ill look into the dressing as well! Thank you! =)

The most important part of getting the hair to grow back is getting the skin healthy first, we will use teat balm or Corona Ointment to get the skin healthy and soften it back up, and as long as it is dry and/or flaky the hair will not come back very strong. You might also try adding some Stabilized Rice Bran to her feed, it has Vitamin E as well as some other vitamins in it the will help the skin and hair, we feed 1 pound a feeding.

As far as paint to cover it up, the red can be a bear to get matched but it might help for the show that is coming soon.

We wash with soap once a week, we use the store brand Head and Shoulders, rinse every day and douse with cream rinse and vinegar once a week between washing. Apply the ointment daily until the skin is healthy looking, by this time you should see new hair coming on strong.

One idea, feel free for others critique of it, is after this coming show, is to trim the hair back short everywhere, that should yield good uniformity by july, even if it's not fully grown out.

For next year though, remember that louse and probably mite control should start in the fall time, and you shouldn't have these problems in the spring

Shapelys M-T-G

ImageFetch.ashx

Original M-T-G has been providing quick and effective relief from numerous skin ailments since 1938! Originally formulated for humans, this safe and easy to use product is the only one needed for relief from a variety of bacterial and fungal skin problems, such as : • Rain Rot • Scratches • Girth Itch • Sweet Itch • Dry Skin • Tail/Mane Rubbing Original M-T-G provides results after just one application! Formulated to eliminate the causative agent creating the skin problem, it conditions the skin and hair around the damaged area, promoting both healthy skin and maximum hair growth. In fact, Original M-T-G has proven to work exceptionally well promoting hair growth. Users report up to 3 inches of new growth on manes and tails in a single month. Original M-T-G creates a healthy environment for the hair follicle, resulting in maximum growth while keeping the length of the hair shaft soft and pliable for minimum breakage. Original M-T-G is a time-tested, user-supported solution to both skin healing and hair growth in a single bottle. An oil-based product that does not require washing or water for application, it is not only easy to use, but great for cold weather. Original M-T-G is also safe and effective on dogs and other animals' skin problems, such as hot spots, itching and dry skin. Original M-T-G is available in 32 oz. and 6 oz. bottles. Suggested Retail Price: 32 oz.$20.95, 6 oz. $7.95

http://www.shapleys.com/products_view.aspx?articleid=17

I have used it on a dog that gets hot spots in the summer and it works well. It really stinks and must taste bad because he won't lick it off.

Latest posts