Show Bull Question

Help Support CattleToday:

HFSimmOH

Reaction score
I want to know thoughts on this and see if anyone out there has had this experience.

I have been showing this bull calf this summer and we have done very well with him and we are going to keep him as a herd sire but we are tossing around the idea of 1 more show which would be the NAILE in November. My problem comes that we are not required to have a ring in him because he will only be 10 months old (8 monthes and about 800lbs right now)at the show and we have not put one in him yet. He is very docile and respectful he does not bother me at all and will not come up to be petted because I have been very careful about not petting him more then when he is tied and then it is just the brushes. The only time that he will come up is when I have the halter and then he will stop and wait to be caught.
Here is my question has anyone put a ring in at this age and does it change their attitude.

I have put rings in bulls at several different ages. (from 8 months up to bulls over two years old) Generally there is not much change in disposition for the worse. If the calf is already good natured then there should be no issue.

I would keep an eye out for any infection or adverse reaction once the ring is in. I have found that this is when there can be an issue. If you plan to do this for NAILE I would do it soon so it is healed before the show.

There is always the alternative of the spring loaded nose lead. They carry them in the sullivan's catalogue or most other show supply stores. It is not as pretty, but it does fit the rules.

Shouldn't be a big deal. Our bull has a ring and he's super gentle. BAR_R is right, spring loaded ones are ugly, but they work.

Our bull is 10 months old and we just put a ring in him and it did not bother him at all. He is still as gentle as he was before the ring.So I would not worry about it it should not change is diposition.

We usually put them in anywhere from 6 to 8 months but don't "use" them, that gives them plenty of time to get healed up before an "emergency brake" is needed.

I have been very careful about not petting him more then when he is tied

Can I ask why? I'm learning so I don't understand ONLY petting him when he is tied... is it because you can't ever completely trust a bull? Thanks for explaining.

I put the noserings in at weaning, after the second day they are used to them. Don't use the nosering at all for at least 3 weeks, but try and turn the ring every so often while it heals.

Remember the nosering is just an emergency break as someone else stated. It may also be wise to have someone else put the nosering in so he don't associate you with pain if you plan on showing him more.

Just wanted to give you all and update on the bull and his ring. The vet came out this morning to put it in and of course it was raining and my grooming chute was outside so I led him out to the chute, i held his head a little while the vet made the hole and put the ring in, it bled a little. When we were done I led him back into the barn and tied him up. I guess I got worried about nothing, he doesn't even notice it. I don't plan on using it for about 3 weeks or so.

Latest posts