Shoulder width

Help Support CattleToday:

luckyluke

Reaction score
In terms of cutability, calving and functionality what is better. Shoulder blades that are set narrower but extend lower between the legs or shoulder blades that are set further apart but are not as deep.

luckyluke":19akmtwl said:
In terms of cutability, calving and functionality what is better. Shoulder blades that are set narrower but extend lower between the legs or shoulder blades that are set further apart but are not as deep.

I am a journeyman butcher and I have never noticed a difference in cutability. I going to have to think on this one.

luckyluke":24zagpqx said:
Luke I am not sure I understand your description of extending lower between the legs. I will say however wider based cattle and wider topped cattle tend to be thicker and have more meat in the box . When it comes to shoulder shape from the highest central point on the shoulder in the topline , to the furthest point foreward on the shoulder by the brisket you want the most horizontal line possible within reason I guess. Shoulders presented with that line straiter up and down are called strait shouldered . Usually a calf with this type shoulder is harder calving and the females usually are poorer milkers.They also are more comfortable walking and standing at rest which should result in less discomfort as they get older if the shoulder is less strait.

Ollie, i guess what i mean is that cattle that have a narrower shoulder set, their chest tends to extend further down between their legs. I have always been told that the deeper the chest the better. But narrower shoulders tend to lead to a narrower back and i know i don't want that.

Luke , the reason that you want a wide chest and top is to give room for vital organs . It also adds weight to the animal. I wouldn't agree narrow chested animals are deeper chested . I think your seeing it that way . It also could be the animals your comparing are that way but most are not.