Should lawns be restricted?

Help Support CattleToday:

Jalopy

Reaction score
What if lawns/yards were restricted to only the size some one could mow using a reel lawnmower?
Advantages:
smaller towns no huge lots sold
less water applied
less gasoline used
less toxic emissions(i.e. exhaust and noise)
more exercise ---less obesity
probably less fertilizer applied
probably more flowers and vegetable gardens- if you have to work in yard should get something for it

Disadvantages:
decline in gasoline lawnmower sales
less leisure time

What are other advantages and disadvantages; Anything is right nothing is wrong. Just discussion.Have fun

I think lawns should be all natural, no watering and no fertilizers. :tiphat:

One big disadvantage that goes with smaller lots is a lot more people living like sardines on their postage stamp sized parcels. Can;t see that it would decrease the amount of fertilizer or water
Some of the younger generation may not know how to start a push mower, no cord, no starter!

A lawn is a waste of pasture, we have ours in a rotational grazing setup.

lawns should be combed daily , If your neighbor fertilizes then you should fertilize more , water more , and make him feel inferior . mow yours one day before he mows and make his look crappy. mow yours in patterns that really drives em nuts.Tell him you don't fertilize....

i have to laugh because a good friend / neighbor of mine and I had lawn wars for a few years and it got to be quite comical , wives thought we were a bit crazy , secret fertilizers and iron to get it greener.

raise cattle now and no time for the lawn !

I think that lawn wars is a waste of time. Having said that, Steve is fanatical about our's. I would leave it be, plant wildflowers on it, and call it good. Or fence it and stick animals on it. I like our lawn, it looks like a park. I don't think you can restict the amount of space one can have for a yard.

Wouldn't need to fertilize the lawn if they kept the clippings on. Talk about a huge waste!

How about golf courses? I read a newpaper article over the weekend comparing our courses (Augusta, in particular) to Scottish links. It seems the Scots actually let theirs get brown (except for the greens) but we keep ours fed, watered and mowed. We prize that green.
Back to lawns. I have several neighbors mowing 3+ acres with a finish mower. 25 hp Z turn mowers. I bet it costs them 5-7.5 gal every trip. High fuel prices may slow the rush to the country. Or, they may buy goats. I don't know which would be worse. :lol:

kscowboy":ruii5lxq said:
lawns should be combed daily , If your neighbor fertilizes then you should fertilize more , water more , and make him feel inferior . mow yours one day before he mows and make his look crappy. mow yours in patterns that really drives em nuts.Tell him you don't fertilize....

i have to laugh because a good friend / neighbor of mine and I had lawn wars for a few years and it got to be quite comical , wives thought we were a bit crazy , secret fertilizers and iron to get it greener.

:clap: :clap: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I want to buy you a beer. :lol: :lol: :lol:

kscowboy":14ap4jdp said:

About 17 years ago, my wife and I bought a house on a street in town with lots of retired couples on it. Bad mistake. Everyday those guys would be out pampering their yard while I was working. They looked like botanical gardens! I even had my nice neighbor offering suggestions on lawn care. With a full time and a half job and a young family, I barely found time to mow mine with a flashlight. No way to win that lawn war!

I'm just thankful now that you can't see my house or yard from the road and there is not another house in view. Significant reduction in peer pressure. And the cows, horses, dogs, cats, and deer don't seem to give a care when the lawn gets too high. As a matter of fact, the deer seem to love long saint augustine, centipede, and monkey grass! :lol:

I like a well manicured lawn, but I can't cut the grass as I suffer from hayfever, Hubby keeps the grass nice, I have to wear a mask and googles if I try, he says I look ridiculous and refusses to let me cut it, one less job for me.

I think it would be easier to pass a law that all lawns should be mowed once a year whether they need it or not. Of course for safety reasons there should be exceptions if old cars and equipment get to the point where you cannot see them as this would create some safety issues. As the sign in my house says, "Martha Stewart doesn't live here. Neither does Bob Villa."

During spring and summer my lawn gets fertilized and cut almost everyday. I just let the lawn ornaments in on it in the evenings. :D

Thanks everyone for participating. I know lawns can't be restricted and really don't want any more regulations. Just wanted to see if anyone else felt that peer pressure causes all the lawn wars. If peer pressure was exerted for natural lawns and smaller lawns a lot of resources could be saved without really hurting anyones quality of life. I have about 1 acre lawn but we are turning more each year into wildflowers, vegetable gardens and flower gardens so I am subject to the pressure also. Thanks for all the input.- JLP

Taking the time for a Sunday lawn mowing. Only effort required is to get up to get a cold one once in a while.

P10101432.jpg

Jalopy":177q1crb said:
Thanks everyone for participating. I know lawns can't be restricted and really don't want any more regulations. Just wanted to see if anyone else felt that peer pressure causes all the lawn wars.

?????????? This is all amusing, and comical. If my neighbors can see my lawn, I aint far enough out in the sticks or else they are climbing fences. "Lawn Wars" ???
"Peer Pressure"??? You aren't kidding either based on the responses.

I used to have a really nice lawn until the cows started putting their noses through our bedroom windows and had to fence it off................... :D

MikeC":2y8jdbjy said:
I used to have a really nice lawn until the cows started putting their noses through our bedroom windows and had to fence it off................... :D

Ah, just put some expanded metal over the windows. Paint it if you want to get fancy. :D

Latest posts