Should I bottle feed?

Help Support CattleToday:

She's just a heifer and I don't see where she abandoned her calf. She just wanted to be with the herd. I bet she turns into a good mom and a good cow. What I have seen with heifers is they will kick the calf when it tries to suck and won't let it nurse. This one was just lonesome.

highgrit":lrgc1wdn said:
She's just a heifer and I don't see where she abandoned her calf. She just wanted to be with the herd. I bet she turns into a good mom and a good cow. What I have seen with heifers is they will kick the calf when it tries to suck and won't let it nurse. This one was just lonesome.
The issue is that she is willfully to destroying the fences to just be with her herd and leave her newborn calf behind...something we don't need that. It may be stupid heifer but her habits may not go away.

j&lfarms":27ps5g29 said:
I checked them today and the calf and heifer is doing fine. I put a heifer in with her and I haven't had any other problems. This cow just doesn't want to be alone. The calf is suckling when it wants too. Today when I first walked out there he ran up and butted my leg and ran off. Momma didn't like that too much but I'll just watch her when I'm around the calf. I guess it just took her a day or two to figure everything out.

And to the guy who said I needed to sale her and invest in better pens: I have good pens fences and chutes on my grandmothers farm. I just had them at a families place so I could let my pasture grow up.

Most folks start at the bottom and work their way up, unless you're one of the privileged.
Some folks learn as they go, other don't know sheep shyt from cotton seed and never learn.
You're doing fine.

cross_7":g0db8bev said:
Most folks start at the bottom and work their way up, unless you're one of the privileged.
Some folks learn as they go, other don't know sheep shyt from cotton seed and never learn.
You're doing fine.
Don't know if this was aimed at me or not but I do know one thing ,and from the way it looks from a lot of the post a lot of people think the same thing , that a cow , calf , horse ,mule ,goat ,pig ,ect..that learns how to jump a fence, go under a fence, or run thrugh, or walk a cattle guard will never forget how its done. She will do it when the time comes that she see a need like this time or when the grass is greener on the other side and the bad thing about it is she will teach all the others how its done. A cow that breaks a small lot will take that same bad habit and use it on what ever fence she comes to. My fences are not to good but my lot I want it to be good so they dont learn the bad habit of getting out, and they ain't getting out of my lots !!! if they do shot them cause there ain't nothing gona hold them.

cross_7":hqmdltut said:
j&lfarms":hqmdltut said:
I checked them today and the calf and heifer is doing fine. I put a heifer in with her and I haven't had any other problems. This cow just doesn't want to be alone. The calf is suckling when it wants too. Today when I first walked out there he ran up and butted my leg and ran off. Momma didn't like that too much but I'll just watch her when I'm around the calf. I guess it just took her a day or two to figure everything out.

And to the guy who said I needed to sale her and invest in better pens: I have good pens fences and chutes on my grandmothers farm. I just had them at a families place so I could let my pasture grow up.

You're doing fine.

I'm fairly sure this post was not meant for me ..... I think :!: . But what is important is this heifer will not forget how to go over fences. The only hope is to build better, higher fences. It is not anyone's choice but the OP's. If the cow, steer, bull wants to be somewhere where they are not and know how to go over, under, through a fence they will .... So is why I love lots of volts. Sounds to me the fences belong to family.

I wasn't aiming at anyone
Just stating we all learned along the way and no one knows it all and no one has perfect pens, fences and so on. We all build a better place as we go, you dont have to have it all starting out and don't listen to stupid advice

cross_7":axzmukuw said:
I wasn't aiming at anyone
Just stating we all learned along the way and no one knows it all and no one has perfect pens, fences and so on. We all build a better place as we go

With this I agree 100%, we have to start out with what we have and add as the priority raises.

:tiphat:
Alan

The fence and whole place is distant family so I'm somewhat limited to things I can do. And why would I? I'm leaving them there for a few months until their grass is gone and mine is grown up. My fence is better at home but hers works well enough.

If everyone that owned cattle waited to buy any until they had the best pens, fences, equipment,land, and could buy all registered show cattle, you would work and save most of your life before you ever started.

denvermartinfarms":1o7z1t35 said:
If everyone that owned cattle waited to buy any until they had the best pens, fences, equipment,land, and all registered show cattle, you would work and save most of your life before you ever started.
Very true, and I can speak from experience. Seems like we are always trying to improve something.