Shotguns

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Since we have been talking old guns
what are your favorite American pumps.
We will get into the break over guns later as well as self loaders.
1. Winchester Model 97 or 12
2. Browning BPS
3. Winchester 1200
4. Ithaca Model 37
5.Mossberg 500.

I know everyone is wondering where the Remington 870 is. I don't own one I detest the gun.
I shot competition trap for years I might as well have a sling shot with me as a 870. Probably one of the greatest designs of all times is not worth a penny if you can't get one to fit right.
Secondly the safety is behind the trigger they just had to be different belongs in front or on the tang.

I have a few Mossberg 500's in 20 and 12 gauge, and three Savage - Stevens pumps in 12 gauge. There not much good except for a throw away self-defense truck gun. I see no reason or benefits of owning a pump gun besides the price.

True Grit Farms":2i9irxaa said:
I have a few Mossberg 500's in 20 and 12 gauge, and three Savage - Stevens pumps in 12 gauge. There not much good except for a throw away self-defense truck gun. I see no reason or benefits of owning a pump gun besides the price.

Never cared for the break over and I have a safe full.
I hunt everything with a shotgun, the hunt is more important than the shot.
A rifle in anything except Model 92,94 or Savage 99 is just junk to me.
Anyone can take a high powered rifle and kill a deer.

The pump is American the break over European.
Most of the real shooters I watched wanted the pump or semi the look at me crowd was drawn to the European design.

For hunting, I would take the Ithaca 37 pump. They fit me. They come up and point right where I look. Light. Work well.

I shot registered trap with a BT-99. With no safety, you don't have to worry where it is.

For Skeet, I never shot registered but I prefer it to trap, I like an OU. I like the Browning OUs.

I don't mess with the new 870s but the old Wingmasters are hard to beat.

We didn't have a lot if money growing up so when I started skeet shooting my brother and I shared an 1100 with a Skeet barrel and a Full barrel. I would trap shoot with my dad's old Wingmaster because I liked the Mod barrel on it. We were shooting at a competition just south of S.A. and ended up where my brother was on trap at the same time I was shooting skeet. Being the younger brother I got the short end of the stick. I put up like a 22 and 23 with the Wingmaster on the skeet range. :)

Caustic Burno":xk7onhii said:
2. Browning BPS
3. Winchester 1200
4. Ithaca Model 37
5.Mossberg 500.

I know everyone is wondering where the Remington 870 is. I don't own one I detest the gun.
I shot competition trap for years I might as well have a sling shot with me as a 870. Probably one of the greatest designs of all times is not worth a penny if you can't get one to fit right.
Secondly the safety is behind the trigger they just had to be different belongs in front or on the tang.

Same here
I grew up on a Winchester model 12
I shoot a benelli nova now and rest my finger on the safety.
Easy to push the safety and slide down on the trigger.
A semi auto scares me to death.
A live round automatically chambered after each shot isn't a good thing when hunting birds in tough terrain

3waycross":1ykpl0u1 said:
Browning BPS...best pump I ever shot
Model 12
Model 37

BPS is hard to beat the action is slick.

Can't figure the infatuation with today's box lock guns. The older guns I get it took a real craftsman to turn one out.
With the CNC machines the craftsmanship to make one is gone.
They just over charge for them now as the tight tolerances are no longer a problem.

Hey Grandpa,
I have a few classics, but my favorite is my 1100 that I bought 30 years ago. The gun was rusty, and last 10 inches of the barrel was pitted.
So, I had a gunsmith cut the barrel down to 21 inches, thread it so I could put different chokes in it. I had him install a "super full turkey choke". In hindsight, that was marketing to a young dumb, flat bottom country bumpkin. However..........I installed a 3 shot magazine extension on it, making it a 7+1. I refinished the stock and forearm and used some "high performance" cold blue. My kids learned to shoot clays with it. With #8 or 7.5's it'll hold a real tight pattern out to 40 yards. If you put anything bigger than #4 in it, it scatters like a bunch of pubescent girls in a spider catching contest.
I like me a lot of different shotguns, but the sound an 1100 makes when you auto load, and the fact you can stay in the game if you have a pocket full of shells, and......you can shoot without using both arms/hands.........well, that makes it my favorite.
Now I've got a few others I'd like to discuss:)

I like the Mossberg 500 in pump. I think I have four of them and also a camo Mossberg 835. Below is the 835 that has the ported barrel on it and can shoot the 3 1/2" magnum shells/slugs. It is smooth operating.

moss1.jpg

Mossy 500 20 ga with a 22" barrel is all I use to carry. Just used it this week jumping ducks, and geese. Light, and a nice short swing for hunting rabbits and quail in cover.

I don't think I'll ever own a shotgun I love more than my old 1100. Dad traded a german shorthair for it back in the 70s. It feels and shoots better than any gun I've ever shot.

I really like a browning A-5. I like the Japanese made ones because they had screw in chokes. I have one of the new versions as well and they are great guns in my opinion. Model 12 is a classic.

I like the mossy, but I don't have a lot of experience with the others . Had my eyes on the FIL"s model 12, but it got stolen .

I don't want to hijack a thread, but in reference to this post I have a question. I'm a shotgun nut and own Ithaca 37's in 12, 16, and 20. The 20 has had a LOT of rounds through it, the 12 very, very few. Both of those guns will eject a live too frequently when you pump it. That's my ONLY knock to that shotgun. Anyone else have that experience? I've never taken in to a gunsmith but I assume they could fix the problem. I don't hunt with either anymore so I haven't worried about it. Anyone with experience on it?

okiek":2wai6pcl said:
I don't want to hijack a thread, but in reference to this post I have a question. I'm a shotgun nut and own Ithaca 37's in 12, 16, and 20. The 20 has had a LOT of rounds through it, the 12 very, very few. Both of those guns will eject a live too frequently when you pump it. That's my ONLY knock to that shotgun. Anyone else have that experience? I've never taken in to a gunsmith but I assume they could fix the problem. I don't hunt with either anymore so I haven't worried about it. Anyone with experience on it?

Your magazine cutoff is not functioning properly. Your slide action bar operates this in the pump cycle. There is a cut off on each side one releases the next live round to the feed ramp while the other is cutting off the magazine tube.
It could be as simple as you gun needs a good cleaning and lubricated.

Be very similar to a BPS as both are based off Brownings design Remington Model 17.
Part would be # 11 and 12

https://www.google.com/search?q=brownin ... Hjus7Xi8uM:

Your magazine cutoff is not functioning properly. Your slide action bar operates this in the pump cycle. There is a cut off on each side one releases the next live round to the feed ramp while the other is cutting off the magazine tube.
It could be as simple as you gun needs a good cleaning and lubricated.

Be very similar to a BPS as both are based off Brownings design Remington Model 17.
Part would be # 11 and 12

https://www.google.com/search?q=brownin ... Hjus7Xi8uM:[/quote]

Thank you very much for the answer!!

Caustic Burno":3shzdkgv said:
2. Browning BPS
3. Winchester 1200
4. Ithaca Model 37
5.Mossberg 500.

CB you and I have had the shotgun debates for years and my truly really old favorite and first shotgun was the Iver Johnson 12 gauge single shot with full choke 36" barrel... Next my 1100's then browning gold hunter I also have some mossbergs I like.

Latest posts