Shorthorns

Help Support CattleToday:

Aero":mqt51lr8 said:
do you weigh your mature cows? how much do they weigh on average and what frame score or hip height is average?

My cow size is 1400 average, with a couple 1200s in there, and a couple 1500s in there. My frame sizes vary between 4 and 5, with a couple 6's thrown in there. The breed average would likely be around that 1400 - 1500 lb range, and frame size 5 animals, although I have to be honest and I don't know what US breeders have for frame sizes. From what I've seen on the web, most US Shorthorn breeders have bigger frame sized animals that carry less weight.

Rod

Aero":2wmkur32 said:
on average, how good is the udder conformation on most Shorthorns?

what are Shorthorns known for not being good at?

when bred to a red Limousin, what kind of colors should be expected? will a black Angus bull turn the roan into a solid coat?

From my experience, they seem to have good udders. Of course, there are good and bad in each breed.

When bred to a solid color bull, of any breed you will get mostly solid color calves. The roans will throw some roan, but again most of the calves will be solid colored. I have had a white animal in the herd, but I would think you would get a large number of colored calves using white. We have some spotted cows in the herd, and so far using Black Angus and Hereford bulls on them for the last 3 years all the calves have been solid colored. The roan seems to be more potent though and we will see a few roan calves off the roan cows. Hereford will bring a lot of white out.

We have a large feeder calf sale barn near us, and I have watched a lot of cattle sell over the years. I've found that when the market is good theres little diference. All breeds of good cattle sell well. During a down market buyers are more pickey, colored calves of all breeds are discounted substantially.

It's not as bad as a couple of years ago, but still Black Angus influenced cattle recieve top $.

mnmt

Randiliana, thanks for posting the pictures. I can now see that there are solid colors that will take on the black coloring.
I didn't realize they had so much hair.
Chuckie

Chuckie":3ara55jj said:
Randiliana, thanks for posting the pictures. I can now see that there are solid colors that will take on the black coloring.
I didn't realize they had so much hair.
Chuckie

You are welcome!! They do have a lot of hair, but several of those photos were taken in the winter and this spring, before they shed out. They will be pretty slick looking in another month or so.

KMacGinley":2rwjxs7j said:
ziggyb":2rwjxs7j said:
Waukaru (sp?) has some real good all red shorthorns.

He is in my neck of the woods, I think that they may have a lotta Maine blood in them.

Couple of Waukaru bulls have been used here in Aus... seem to be doing an alright job

Latest posts