Shorthorns without any Maine influence

Help Support CattleToday:

capt

Reaction score
I was contacted by a gentleman the other day about where to find a Shorthorn bull from a program that does not use nor ever has used any Maine Anjou influence. I am looking forward to everyones response.

THANKS

Coyote":2qtoobbs said:
We have not used any Maine in our Shorthorn herd .
Check our web site out.

:?: Parden me Coyote, but where is your website :?:
I would like to visit you,
Mac

I've used Saskvalley bulls before, and can attest to their high quality. Easy keeping bulls that deliver consistent, high quality calves year after year. I sell backgrounded calves, and in the years I've sold Saskvalley sired calves, I've had a large percentage (last year, I had 99% of my calves sell well above average) in the top pens of the sales.

Rod

Thank you for the suggestions gentlemen and I have another question to pose; that being when do you think the US/Canadian border will open for breeding cattle?

Thanks

Coyote":tgly1fjd said:
We have not used any Maine in our Shorthorn herd .
Check our web site out.
Coyote do you own that bull you posted a picture of?

(Coyote do you own that bull you posted a picture of)

Yes we own the bulls I posted.

(Thank you for the suggestions gentlemen and I have another question to pose; that being when do you think the US/Canadian border will open for breeding cattle?

Thanks )

http://www.info-cca.ca/
This link has some info on opening the border

That Muridale buster is one nice bull. We have a bull with CF Trump and Old Skool on the paternal side and Einomor genetics on the maternal side. Calves will hit the ground in April.

I guess my memory is going, cause those pictures of today's shorthorns don't look like the ones I remember from the 50's, back in Missourri and Illinois. They were mostly dark,dark red, and had short horns. They were always the sleekest, meatiest, best doing cattle of the area though, so I guess that hasn't changed. I haven't seen one in 50 years though, so I could have forgot.

Yes, Shorthorns do look different than 50 years ago. Our herd has used both native and other bloodlines. Both beef and dual purpose MS sires.

But also some herds have retained the native bloodlines. No outside blood. Vera Land & Cattle of LA uses these old natives.
http://www.verashorthorn.com/

Also a native sire that we used and have many daughters in our herd. Ridge View Lady's Nathan N-P http://www.nilevalleyfarm.4t.com/custom2.html

Our current senior herd sire has no appendix or Maine blood.
Ar Su Lu Gallager 403 (Gal Chaser) pedigree by clicking on his photo
http://www.nilevalleyfarm.4t.com/Shorthorn_Bulls.html

I did a google, but couldn't find Haumont Shorthorns (there are some pictures of their herd bulls on the vera shorthorn site). Any idea if they have a website or semen available?

Rod

The Haumont herd is out of western NE. They have no web site. Vera family had best info on there herd. Our family with couple other breeders does have semen rights on the Native dual bull Commander in Chief 96. He is a proven son of the Legendary sire: Meadowbrook Chieftain 9th and near Ideal Dual Purpose Matron dam; Cherry Blossom H 97th.

ASA (x3966956) AMSS (P438798) Native and polled bred as pure, old line. To add both Milk and Meat to your cow herd.

Semen price just $10.00 per straw plus shipping and handling.

Rod, you can email me via our website and I can send you pictures of bull, dam and sire.
John of Nile Valley

If you want to know about the Haumont breeding get in touch with Gary [email protected]. We were out to see Marybelle Cooksley in September and that is where Gary got his start, back in 1974. He bought a bull from them again last January and two heifers after linebreeding for the past 30 years or so and the cattle are quite impressive. I raise Angus and I was impressed by the quality of the linebred shorthorns, with none of the crossbreeding the breed has allowed. :)

Latest posts